none
Not enough free disk space RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched the forums with no real answer.

When I try to copy a 25gb file from any of my xp clients to my \\WHS\videos\movies share I get "Can not copy MOVIE: There is not enough free disk space.  Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try again."

I installed WHS on a 1tb drive so my system drive is the largest.  All Duplication is off.  No PC backups.

Disk 1 System Healthy: 931gb  12% full
    Disk 0 Healthy:             465gb   49% full
    Disk 2 Healthy:             279gb   89% full

= 1.64tb with 1.05tb free

So I have 1.05 Terabytes free and I can't move a 25gig movie.  I can move smaller files.

I thank anyone for any help or pointers to what is wrong.

thanks,
    velvet

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:18 AM

Answers

• I could write all sorts of small files to the share.  I could not write any large files to the share.  So the permissions were correct.  I also had all windows updates applied at that time.  I gave up and reinstalled WHS again.  As with any windows issue.  Sometimes the quickest remedy is a re-install.

• Marked as answer by velvetmidget Friday, December 26, 2008 1:56 AM
    Friday, December 26, 2008 1:56 AM

All replies

•   Hi Velvet,
    this issue (Vista Explorer only seeing the free space on drive D: and plocing write attempts, if the free space here is lower than the size of the selected files) is one of the fixes in the November update for Windows Home Server. So did you install all the Windows Updates for your system? Although I would assume, since you have only 12% full on that drive, that this should not play a role. The stranger part here is the fact, that your system drive is not disk 0.

Sometimes also the error messages may not reflect the real reason behind - if you are denied write access due to wrong set permissions or network issues, you also may run into similar messages, also if the file is broken already on the local disk, so that Windows cannot determine the end of file properly.
    Can you write smaller files to the same server folder?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by velvetmidget Friday, December 26, 2008 1:53 AM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 8:24 AM
  • I could write all sorts of small files to the share.  I could not write any large files to the share.  So the permissions were correct.  I also had all windows updates applied at that time.  I gave up and reinstalled WHS again.  As with any windows issue.  Sometimes the quickest remedy is a re-install.

• Marked as answer by velvetmidget Friday, December 26, 2008 1:56 AM
    Friday, December 26, 2008 1:56 AM