none
Formatting in a post RRS feed

• Question

• When a quote or some code is posted using the icon "insert code block"  the message block where I type in keeps the font size of the characters in the quote or code.  There is no method of changing the font or normalizing it to the standard fond of these messages.    You can look at the mess I left behind here:  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/1a07ffc3-22ec-431d-ba35-eed5f8ea2ad4/reusing-mfc-developed-class-in-console-app?forum=vcgeneral&prof=required

Since you are making forum changes, enable a standard that other forums use:

[code]  my code [/code]

[quote] quote myself [/quote]

Try visiting other forums such as www.codeproject.com and see how they do things.  Almost anything will be better than what I find here.

Edit:  If you can see deleted posts, look for the one I deleted.

Edit:  Try building a Visual Studio project with errors then create a post putting several code segments and some of the information from the output window into the post.  Be use you edit some text below the quoted material after entering it using the afore mentioned icon. Maybe even do that as a reply to this post.

Edit:  Reference this thread:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/8bf5380f-6f4c-4533-9158-bcb537f3f7ea/sscanfs-behavior-puzzling?forum=vcgeneral

There is no place that tells users how to edit a post to mark code blocks.  I tried the HTML options with "pre" and "/pre" surrounded by angle brackets.  What else can it use?

~jag77 We need to know what a dragon is before we study its anatomy. (Bryan Kelly, 2010) If you work with telemetry please visit this bulletin board: www.bkelly.ws/irig_106

• Edited by JAG77 Sunday, October 6, 2013 3:41 AM add new info
    Saturday, October 5, 2013 3:59 PM

Answers

• The only people that see deleted posts are moderators (and probably the person that posted). That explains why we never saw it.

To use HTML you click the "Insert HTML" button (labeled "HTML" in the editor), but that is really for advanced users. However, if you clicked that button, then pasted in your HTML (using the <pre> tabs for example), then it would get rendered in the editor (and after you click "Submit"). You can try this in the Sandbox forum I linked early to experiment.

Rather than mess with HTML, I would suggest the the "Insert Code Block" feature. Help for this feature here:

Can I include code in the reply that I post to Forums?

For help on navigating the forums, check the section "Navigation and Efficiency" in this article:

MSDN/TechNet Forums - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Sunday, October 6, 2013 3:38 PM

All replies

• While I agree that the post editor leaves much to be desired, I'm not quite sure what your point is here. Code blocks are done using the HTML

<pre class = "prettyprint">
    </pre>

I do not see any such section in the link you provide to your post, though I would agree that you created a big mess (presumably by trying to edit the HTML).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, October 6, 2013 11:20 AM
  • I looked at the linked post and I am not sure what the problem is. One idea would be to post in the Sandbox forum here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home#forum=tnsandbox&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc&content=Content

then add a link to that test post here in this thread so we can see the problem better. In your Sandbox post you can explain exactly what your are doing. For example, below I insert code using the "Insert Code Block" button, etc.

Sunday, October 6, 2013 12:12 PM
  • Hello David,

In some other places just the bracket pre close_bracket was sufficient.  I will try that now.

<pre class = "code">

if( octects[ x ] > 255 )

{

method_status =

false;

// BK: write code to log error

octects[ x ] = 0;

}  </pre>

I will see how that looks.

Edit, notice how everything is all spaced out.    That was a copy paste from a section of code in Visual Studio.  Please set up your (Microsoft, not you personally) forum so a copy/paste from your  (again Microsoft not you) products will display in a reasonable format.  Observe also that the <pre> did not work.

I also suggest a button to restore fonts for the normal mode after doing a paste with something different.  Maybe I can do it with HTML, but a simple change will help the user.

Back at the ranch, where are a FAQs and the section about formatting within the MSDN forums?  I find navigating in the format difficult so a link will be appreciated.

~jag77 We need to know what a dragon is before we study its anatomy. (Bryan Kelly, 2010) If you work with telemetry please visit this bulletin board: www.bkelly.ws/irig_106

• Edited by JAG77 Sunday, October 6, 2013 2:40 PM more info
    Sunday, October 6, 2013 2:35 PM
  • html,body{padding:0;margin:0;font-family:Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;background:#fff;}html{font-size:100%}body{font-size:.75em;line-height:1.5;padding-top:1px;margin-top:-1px;}h1{font-size:2em;margin:.67em 0}h2{font-size:1.5em}h3{font-size:1.16em}h4{font-size:1em}h5{font-size:.83em}h6{font-size:.7em}p{margin:0 0 1em;padding:0 .2em}.t-marker{display:none;}.t-paste-container{;left:-10000px;width:1px;height:1px;overflow:hidden}ul,ol{padding-left:2.5em}a{color:#00a}code, pre{font-size:1.23em} Hello David, In some other places just the bracket pre close_bracket was sufficient. I will try that now.

if( octects[ x ] > 255 )

{

method_status = 

false;

// BK: write code to log error

octects[ x ] = 0;

}  

I will see how that looks. Edit, notice how everything is all spaced out. That was a copy paste from a section of code in Visual Studio. Please set up your (Microsoft, not you personally) forum so a copy/paste from your (again Microsoft not you) products will display in a reasonable format. Observe also that the

did not work.

I also suggest a button to restore fonts for the normal mode after doing a paste with something different.  Maybe I can do it with HTML, but a simple change will help the user.

Back at the ranch, where are a FAQs and the section about formatting within the MSDN forums?  I find navigating in the format difficult so a link will be appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABOVE HERE  was cut and paste into the HTML dialog

BELOW HERE are my comments after first posting the above information.

edit again: That did not work out so well. There were no blank lines in the code as viewed in Visual Studio.  I am sure you can make it work, and make me feel like a dummy while you are at it.  However, please consider the average forum user. I just need to write a post, not spend a bunch of time figuring out how to format it. Make formatting easy. Enable the bracket pre close_bracket in non html.

• Edited by JAG77 Sunday, October 6, 2013 2:53 PM more info
    Sunday, October 6, 2013 2:42 PM
  • Re the thread that has the link:  I deleted a post and it continued to show up with all the characters lined out.  I presume that by the time you got there the deleted post had been really deleted.  Sorry about that.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Sunday, October 6, 2013 2:51 PM
  • The only people that see deleted posts are moderators (and probably the person that posted). That explains why we never saw it.

To use HTML you click the "Insert HTML" button (labeled "HTML" in the editor), but that is really for advanced users. However, if you clicked that button, then pasted in your HTML (using the <pre> tabs for example), then it would get rendered in the editor (and after you click "Submit"). You can try this in the Sandbox forum I linked early to experiment.

Rather than mess with HTML, I would suggest the the "Insert Code Block" feature. Help for this feature here:

Can I include code in the reply that I post to Forums?

For help on navigating the forums, check the section "Navigation and Efficiency" in this article:

MSDN/TechNet Forums - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Sunday, October 6, 2013 3:38 PM
  • Hello,

I see the options about marking as an answer, but I prefer to not.  As shown in my posts above the methods of inserting a code block or a quote are extremely poor compared to other forums.  Again, I suggest that it be made simple like:  [code lang=c++] my code [/code]  and [quote author=john] what he wrote [/quote].

This is a Microsoft forum and is one of the many faces that Microsoft presents to its users.  I, as a developer, expect something much better than the formatting tools available in this forum.  And, as noted elsewhere, the general structure and navigating these forums is equally poor.  It is down right difficult to use.

So mark it answered if you choose, but I won't.

BTW:  I say again:  Who is it that drove all these bad changes?  Make that person or team aware of this thread.  I challenge you, the champions of these chanages, to post in the forums under your real name and stand up for what you have done.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:33 AM
  • True. The format code block thing isn't the greatest.

tnjman

Thursday, October 10, 2013 4:50 AM
  • Also, keep in mind, if you have an older browser (IE8, for example), you might see some odd behavior. I still have 2 computers I need to update to IE9. Regarding IE10 - it has a LOT of issues - some with page rendering of legacy items and so forth. But, IE9 is very solid.

As mentioned also, you can use the "Insert HTML" feature, if you want more flexibility.

tnjman

Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:46 AM