none
Can't change the "issue type" back to unanswered question RRS feed

• Question

• I got the following message on a question I submitted

We are changing the issue type to “General Discussion” because you have not followed up with the necessary information. If you have more time to look at the issue and provide more information, please feel free to change the issue type back to “Question” by opening the Options list at the top of the post  window, and changing the type. If the issue is resolved, we will appreciate it if you can share the solution so that the answer can be found and used by other community members having similar questions.

The question had sit idle for so long I missed the notice that there was a response.  I have updated it now and want to change the "issue type" back but cannot figure out how.  I tryed editing the original post but could not find any place to change the "issue type" or any radio buttons.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:13 PM

Answers

• Mark:

Yes, this is a bug. Not only is the place you have to click to Edit an Original Post counterintuitive (because it is different than for every other post), but when you get there there is no option to change the type. In the V3 forums, this option was available for both moderators and OP.

This is a pretty serious usability defect, IMHO, and one which I pointed out when the V4 forums were still in test mode several weeks ago.

I personally see very little value in the distinction between "Ask a Question" and "Start a Discussion". Most often the latter is selected by novices in error, and I agree with Mike that changing a Question to Discussion because OP has not followed up is not a good practice.
    David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:27 PM

All replies

• There's a Change Type option on the line above the post (to the right) if you are a Moderator.

For what it's worth, I don't understand the idea of changing a thread's type because someone hasn't responded. This smacks of Microsoft moderators more used to working with Premium Support clients. In forums it's not your job to "supply required information" you can just vanish if you want. 

WSS FAQ sites: WSS 2.0: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007: http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language titles) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Mark:

Yes, this is a bug. Not only is the place you have to click to Edit an Original Post counterintuitive (because it is different than for every other post), but when you get there there is no option to change the type. In the V3 forums, this option was available for both moderators and OP.

This is a pretty serious usability defect, IMHO, and one which I pointed out when the V4 forums were still in test mode several weeks ago.

I personally see very little value in the distinction between "Ask a Question" and "Start a Discussion". Most often the latter is selected by novices in error, and I agree with Mike that changing a Question to Discussion because OP has not followed up is not a good practice.
    David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:27 PM