Slow data interchange RRS feed

• Question

• I'm syncing the photo directory of a friend. At the same time i'm syncing the music directory of one of my other local machine. The bandwith is 100Mbs. That counts also for the internet connection. The sync speed with my remote friend is fluctuating around 0.5% of the bandwith at app 500 kbs. The sync speed with the local machine is zero. I dont use the live desktop. Is this normal? Only one connection (interchange) at the same time? And at about 500 kbs via the internet?

Thanks, Jac
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:42 PM

Answers

• Live Mesh will not use all of your bandwidth to sync data. In fact, even on a local LAN, the data transfer is typically throttled down pretty low. You can manually transfer the data much faster than it will move using Live Mesh.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 18, 2009 12:35 PM

All replies

• The sync speed is may be limited by the upload speed allowed by your ISP. For example my ISP provides 20mps download speed but only about 1200kbs upload speed. In practice, when accounting for overhead and internet traffic, my upload and download speeds are about half of that.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:17 PM
  • Jim, Thanks for ur reply. Upload speed and download speed for my and my friend are the same: 100 mbs (its ftth not adsl). So we have to find out what's the problem. U also have a suggestion for the "only one connection is running"; no syncing with two machines at the same time?
    Friday, September 18, 2009 5:21 AM
  • Live Mesh will not use all of your bandwidth to sync data. In fact, even on a local LAN, the data transfer is typically throttled down pretty low. You can manually transfer the data much faster than it will move using Live Mesh.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, September 18, 2009 12:35 PM