.net RRS feed

• Question

• My home server website stopped working after I reinstalled .net framework 2.0 SP1

I get the following error in my browser.

Is there something else I need to do when reisntalling .netframework 2.0 SP1??

PLEASE HELP

Server Error in '/Home' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --> <configuration> <system.web> <customErrors mode="Off"/> </system.web> </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File --> <configuration> <system.web> <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/> </system.web> </configuration>

Saturday, November 29, 2008 4:16 AM

Answers

• How did you reinstall .net Framewok 2.0 SP1? And why? Did you do so using the WHS console, or by logging in to the server using Remote Desktop or physically onnected console, i.e. through Windows Updates? If the latter, then the easiest solution is probably gong to be a server reinstallation, which is a special installation mode that refreshes the C: partition, without affecting your data. You will have to recreate any users, reinstall add-ins, and rejoin computers (which should hook back up to their backups automatically). You'll also have to reinstall any software you installed other than add-ins, and redo any system/OS tweaks you may have made. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Ken, thanks for posting. I used remote desktop to unistalled and reinstalled using add remove programs in the control panel.

Using the server reinstall is the last option I wanted. What is the general concensus to do the reinstall, I have been reading the blogs that it works only half the time and the data on the d: partition is only sometimes recovered.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by MackUser Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:40 AM
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:07 PM

All replies

• How did you reinstall .net Framewok 2.0 SP1? And why? Did you do so using the WHS console, or by logging in to the server using Remote Desktop or physically onnected console, i.e. through Windows Updates? If the latter, then the easiest solution is probably gong to be a server reinstallation, which is a special installation mode that refreshes the C: partition, without affecting your data. You will have to recreate any users, reinstall add-ins, and rejoin computers (which should hook back up to their backups automatically). You'll also have to reinstall any software you installed other than add-ins, and redo any system/OS tweaks you may have made. 
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Ken, thanks for posting. I used remote desktop to unistalled and reinstalled using add remove programs in the control panel.

Using the server reinstall is the last option I wanted. What is the general concensus to do the reinstall, I have been reading the blogs that it works only half the time and the data on the d: partition is only sometimes recovered.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by MackUser Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:40 AM
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:07 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried the M/S repair option, it might well help.
    However, I'm with Ken, as a server is required to be stable and reliable if nothing else, I'd just do a Re-Install.
    The problem with blogs, is that you only ever get the report of problems. As I have a couple of test servers, I've done quite a number of re-installs with no problems whatsoever. The problems that do arise are usually due to home-built servers and drive positioning in the BIOS, or the lack of correct drivers.

It's relatively straightforward, the only time consuming part is when it has to rebuild all the indexes and tombstones during which time the server can appear 'stuck'.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, November 29, 2008 9:33 PM