Connector software on a dual boot home computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all :-)

I have a desktop and laptop on which I am currently dual booting with XP Pro SP2 and Vista.  If I install the Connector software on these machines,  do I need to install it on each of the OS's separately?  I just want to be sure.   

Jan :)

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:35 PM

Answers

• If you have a dual boot system, then you can install the Windows Home Server Connector software on each machine, but it essence it is not required.  I would recommend that you install the Connector on the partition that you use most frequently - as when a backup occurs it will backup all of the hard drives and the master boot record.  So if you need to use the Home Computer Restore CD to doa full-metal (image-based) restore of the PC - then it will handle dual boot machines.

I have setup dual boot machines - running Windows Vista from a C drive and Windows XP Pro from a D drive and had Windows Home Server Connector installed on both OSes.  The problem with installing the Connector on both is that the one that you use infrequently will show as yellow or red from a health status perspective.  We did it for demo purposes to have the console show multiple machines without having a lot of extra hardware.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:32 PM
  • It also registers each OS in the Console as a different computer if you install the Connector under both booting OSes.  Windows Home Server limits you to 10 computers and 10 users.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:38 PM

All replies

• I did on my dual boot XP Home / Vista Premium system.  I'd love to have an explanation of what that means for backup though.  Do I have to regularly log on to each OS alternate days and leave them in standby overnight to get them backed up?  Currently I have turned off backup for that machine because I was afraid I would get warnings on the other OS.  Has anyone else configured a dual-boot and if so, what happens during backup?
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:22 PM
  •  BlaineMVP wrote:
    I did on my dual boot XP Home / Vista Premium system.  I'd love to have an explanation of what that means for backup though.  Do I have to regularly log on to each OS alternate days and leave them in standby overnight to get them backed up?  Currently I have turned off backup for that machine because I was afraid I would get warnings on the other OS.  Has anyone else configured a dual-boot and if so, what happens during backup?

Thanks, Blaine.  Your question on the backup is a good one, and I would also like to know how the backup process would be affected dealing with the dual booting.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:37 PM
  • If you have a dual boot system, then you can install the Windows Home Server Connector software on each machine, but it essence it is not required.  I would recommend that you install the Connector on the partition that you use most frequently - as when a backup occurs it will backup all of the hard drives and the master boot record.  So if you need to use the Home Computer Restore CD to doa full-metal (image-based) restore of the PC - then it will handle dual boot machines.

I have setup dual boot machines - running Windows Vista from a C drive and Windows XP Pro from a D drive and had Windows Home Server Connector installed on both OSes.  The problem with installing the Connector on both is that the one that you use infrequently will show as yellow or red from a health status perspective.  We did it for demo purposes to have the console show multiple machines without having a lot of extra hardware.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:32 PM
  • It also registers each OS in the Console as a different computer if you install the Connector under both booting OSes.  Windows Home Server limits you to 10 computers and 10 users.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:38 PM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:

If you have a dual boot system, then you can install the Windows Home Server Connector software on each machine, but it essence it is not required.  I would recommend that you install the Connector on the partition that you use most frequently - as when a backup occurs it will backup all of the hard drives and the master boot record.  So if you need to use the Home Computer Restore CD to doa full-metal (image-based) restore of the PC - then it will handle dual boot machines.

Thank you very much for the information.  So the OS I should install the Connector on is the one that I use the most?  Say it is XP, then let it also backup the Vista drive as part of the backup?  Sorry to appear dense here, but, just want to be sure that I fully understand what I need to do to backup the two OS's if I only install the Connector to the primary use  OS. 

Jan :) 

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:25 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    It also registers each OS in the Console as a different computer if you install the Connector under both booting OSes.  Windows Home Server limits you to 10 computers and 10 users.

Ahh...ok...very good to know.  Thank you.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:26 PM
  •  Joel Burt wrote:
    It also registers each OS in the Console as a different computer if you install the Connector under both booting OSes.  Windows Home Server limits you to 10 computers and 10 users.

One other question, if I have installed it to the wrong OS, can I uninstall it and reinstall to the correct OS without creating a problem with the recognition, and should I delete the backup that I created while it was installed in the wrong OS?

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 11:29 PM
  • Hi Jan,

If you are in a dual boot situation all you need to do is install the Connector on the partition with the frequently used OS. Part of the backup that WHS does automatically is that it backs up both partitions and the MBR so if it ever came to it you could do a complete restore of the machine with both OSes still intact.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:04 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Thank you, that does eliminate some of the confusion. :-)

Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:42 AM
  • Hi all,

I have a situation here that I could use some advise on.  'k... I first installed the Connector on the Vista OS on the dual boot machine, then tried to do a backup of the Vista but it failed.  Then, after reading some of the further posts here I decided it needed to be installed on the XP OS for now, so I uninstalled it on the Vista, and then installed it on the XP.  So far so good, no problems with that.  However, and I kept getting notices of the failed Vista backup, so I went into the backups and set the failed backup to be deleted on the next cleanup, then ran a cleanup.  It appeared to have deleted the file, however, I am still getting notices that the Vista backup failed, and still have the little yellow icon on the tray that says the Windows Home Server Network health is at risk.

I am not sure what else needs to be done to resolve the failed backup to eliminate these notices.  What else should I do to complete the removal of this failed backup and/or eliminate the notices?

Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:34 PM
  • In the current beta, you are unable to delete a PC from the network, even if it no longer has the connector software loaded.  I know they plan to fix this eventually.  If that was fixed, this problem would be moot.

I don't think you can turn off backups for the non-existent machine either, since it appears the WHS must detect it before you can turn it off.  I may be wrong on that point, so try it.

I was going to suggest that if you could get the PC to run a successful backup, you could then turn off the backup and stop the alerts.  But unfortunately you've already uninstalled the connector software.  I think there is another bug in that if you reinstall the console software, it won't delete the prior instance of the computer with that name and you'll have two copies.

One possible workaround might be to do a system restore back to when the connector software *was* loaded, do a backup, delete it, then turn off backup processing, then return back to the present state of the PC.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:40 PM
  • Back to the issue of dual-boot machines, could you have the software on both OSes, but only enable the primary to backup?  I'm thinking that I would still want to be able to see network health, click quickly to the WHS console, etc. regardless of whether I was on the primary or secondary OS... anyone see any side-effects beyond seeing this as two computers on the console?
    Friday, February 23, 2007 12:07 AM
  • I am not sure that I understand what the situation is with the delted backup.  It was on the server, then it should have been deleted with he manual cleanup. The Vista is still part of the network, I did not remove it from the netowrk. I can still be backed up with the next backup, and as there has been three backups, I don't see a reason why the first bacup that has been cleaned from the backup is creating this kind of reaction. If it is just a matter of a glitch in the current software, then this is understandable.  And, hopefully, they will get is fixed in the next build.

Thank you very much for your time and help.  :-)

Saturday, February 24, 2007 8:32 PM