none
Disappearing threads and stale statistics RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I am sure I posted that problem here recently, but I checked 3 first pages of this forum and the thread is not there. The forum's statistics is not being updated (recent visitors, recent moderators, top answerers, etc.) for about a week or more. Is it going to be fixed also?

And where is my first thread on this exact topic?

Thanks.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, March 11, 2013 2:03 PM

Answers

• There are 2 bugs here, both of which we are working on resolving:

1. Statistics/Activities not being updated - We just pinpointed this to a server issue which should be resolved by tomorrow.
    2. Threads disappearing - This is an odd bug... The number of sticky posts present in a forum will push the same number of threads off the page. Therefore, once a thread has passed this cutoff (from other threads being posted) it will reappear on the next page. We will fix this issue on or before our next release.

Forums Program Manager

Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:30 AM

All replies

• I remembered replying to your post, so I found it in My Threads:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/35e7d3aa-92e4-4c5d-9fa6-da598184de7b

And, the list of most recent visitors in the forum I mentioned is still unchanged. The person listed as the most recent visitor was last active in the forum 6 days ago.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Monday, March 11, 2013 3:42 PM
  • The strange thing is that I searched 4 first pages in this forum and was unable to see this thread. I think this problem is universal across all forums (or many I checked). Say, T-SQL forum has the same info for about a week or more.

BTW, the language bug is also still here. Quite often I see 'Already voted' (like in that reply of yours I re-checked) in a strange language. It only seems to be for the 'Already voted' text.

UPDATE. I re-checked the first 4 pages again and I still didn't find that 'Latest...' thread. Weird...

My blog

Monday, March 11, 2013 3:45 PM
  • The thread is definitely not there when I view the forum, based on the date of the last reply (March 7, 2012, about 4:50 pm in my time zone). In fact, I think it should be the first thread listed on the second page, if they are in order by date of last reply. I wonder if we are again missing threads at the page breaks. If so, it will show up on the second page after more posts are added.

Monday, March 11, 2013 4:28 PM
  • I forgot to check recently, but the thread Naomi reported as "missing" above now appears on page 2 of this forum. My theory is that there is always a missing thread in this forum between the pages.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:45 PM
  • I am getting the same problem again. I wanted to post a thread example of a recent problem I was trying to answer in this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/31d406a9-654f-4a53-adeb-b80c30ac9dbd

The problem I was trying to help was dealing with booking and had some funny title like "invalid boolean expression" or the like. I went through 3 first pages of my threads and I could not find it. I guess I may try to look into only unanswered threads, but my point is that in many thread views few threads are disappearing, so there is some bug in paging logic.

My blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:41 PM
  • UPDATE. Searching within only unanswered threads helped

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/transactsql/thread/9531e595-1ee6-4e1f-84c3-8f4486adbb8d

My blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:44 PM
  • The thread is definitely not there when I view the forum, based on the date of the last reply (March 7, 2012, about 4:50 pm in my time zone). In fact, I think it should be the first thread listed on the second page, if they are in order by date of last reply.

I had the same issue last night, where a thread I had posted
    to about five hours earlier was nowhere to be found when I paged
    through the threads with the default ordering as date of "Most
    Recent Post". When I changed "Sort By" to "Most Recent Thread"
    my post was there. This was in the Visual C++ forum.

It's the exact same issue I commented on in a thread Feb 12.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/9be8d530-3934-4649-a924-4ae4dbb3617c

>I wonder if we are again missing threads at the page breaks.

More likely "still missing". I don't know if it's ever been
    fixed - or even officially acknowledged as a bug.

- Wayne

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:24 PM
  • There are 2 bugs here, both of which we are working on resolving:

1. Statistics/Activities not being updated - We just pinpointed this to a server issue which should be resolved by tomorrow.
    2. Threads disappearing - This is an odd bug... The number of sticky posts present in a forum will push the same number of threads off the page. Therefore, once a thread has passed this cutoff (from other threads being posted) it will reappear on the next page. We will fix this issue on or before our next release.

Forums Program Manager

Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:30 AM
  • There are 2 bugs here, both of which we are working on resolving

Forums Program Manager

Welcome news. Thanks for the prompt feedback.

- Wayne

• Edited by WayneAKing Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:43 AM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:43 AM
  • Hmm, you said it's going to resolve tomorrow (several days ago). Nothing changed in regards to forum's statistics, I still see old info (which has been the same last 2+ weeks).

And also yesterday I found a case when one of my posts was not reflected in my activities. Are you sure the problem is fixed going forward?

Also, any estimates - promises if the missed activities / points will be eventually returned? 

My blog

Monday, March 18, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Naomi, are you saying you are still not seeing recent activity or gaining points? These should be resolved moving forward. We are still investigating replaying points, this is something we want to do, however the question is more on timing.

Forums Program Manager

Monday, March 18, 2013 4:19 PM
  • I still see old statistics in the forum, e.g. on the right hand side the list of recent visitors, top posters, etc. is 2 weeks old.

In addition, as I said, one of my posts yesterday was missing from my activity. I am not sure if you will be able to trace it, but I know that after I posted in one thread, that post didn't appear in my activity. 

My blog

Monday, March 18, 2013 4:38 PM
  • I'll look into this. Thank you Naomi.

Forums Program Manager

Monday, March 18, 2013 4:47 PM
  • As far as I can tell, all of my forum activity has shown up immediately in my profile activities the last few days.

I just marked a helpful reply and proposed an answer for people with over 100,000 points. I experienced no delay. And, when I checked the profiles, the activity showed up in all profiles immediately. I don't know when this sped up, but I like it so far.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:01 PM