uninterruptible power supply (UPS) RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a slim acer aspire desktop with an external drive.  Fearing a power failure might result in hard drive shutting down while it was writing data  (in desktop or external drive) or other issues  from a sudden loss of power I have invested in a UPS.  Was wondering how many others are using a UPS with their WHS setup.  With all the data being in a centralized location it seems a ups is necessary protection.
    Friday, June 22, 2007 6:54 PM

All replies

• I'm using a UPS with my home server.  It's a nice little APC model, and I've got the included software loaded, so that if the power goes out, I don't even have to be around to shut down the server before the battery dies.

Actually, all of my network equipment is hooked up to UPS, including my cablemodem and wireless router.  Last year a thunderstorm knocked out my power, but I still had internet

The only computer equipment not hooked up to a UPS is my laptop, but it's got an internal battery, so it doesn't really need one.  It's on a surge protector, though.

Running a computer, especially a server, without a UPS is just asking for trouble, if you ask me.

Friday, June 22, 2007 7:27 PM
  • Actually you bring up a good point of having the software loaded and working.  It is important in case you have a prolonged power outage.  I do have the software installed on mine...extra level of security. 
    Friday, June 22, 2007 9:03 PM