Valadation Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I replaced my old motherboard with a new one along with a new Video Card on my PC. I installed Windows Xp with the same CD I used last time, but this time it says i need to 'Validate Windows', which is probably a pirating prevention system that Microsoft has made. I followed the direction to copy the diagnostics of my PC off of a program I ran. I put this off for awhile, and it says i have 8 days left. Please help me.

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0723.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2C7DW-FF9TB-7MPPY
    Windows Product Key Hash: BHhryHHDmFwLQamSCamdMSwJZ6c=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2156815-99828
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom
    ID: 694dcb77-2275-428d-8208-d63876009590
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3175-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>694dcb77-2275-428d-8208-d63876009590</UGUID><Version>1.5.0723.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-7MPPY</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2156815-99828</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1801674531-879983540-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>P4M80P</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060608000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>7E79300F01842E53</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:49 AM

Answers

• JohnnyB,

You have a systembuilder/OEM license for XP Home.  OEM licenses are valid ONLY on the computer onto which they are first installed, and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) prohibits moving the license to a new computer.  For purposes of defining what a computer is, since any computer is simply a collection of parts, MS has established that the motherboard is the base component.  Therefore, the EULA prohibits moving an OEM license to a new motherboard.  There is an exception that allows a defective motherboard to be replaced with an equivalent motherboard.

Since you have an OEM license for XP, you will be in violation of the EULA if you install such license on the rebuilt computer, if the reason for upgrade is for performance reasons and not to replace a defective motherboard.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:27 AM
  • Ok Dan, (Thanks for the fast reply.)

What are my options? I obviously didnt buy all this new stuff just so it can be shut off due to 'Validation' problems. Do I need to 're-buy' Windows... I'm not made of money here.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 3:33 AM
  • How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone". 

The Activation Wizard displays the toll free number that you can dial.

You can open the Windows Product Activation wizard by clicking Start, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 3:45 AM
  • JohnnyB,

Your current copy of XP is tied to the old motherboard.

In order to remain in compliance with the EULA, you will need a new copy of XP to install on the new motherboard.

If you had a retail license for XP, that EULA allows you to move the license from one computer (motherboard) to another.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 3:46 AM

All replies

• JohnnyB,

You have a systembuilder/OEM license for XP Home.  OEM licenses are valid ONLY on the computer onto which they are first installed, and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) prohibits moving the license to a new computer.  For purposes of defining what a computer is, since any computer is simply a collection of parts, MS has established that the motherboard is the base component.  Therefore, the EULA prohibits moving an OEM license to a new motherboard.  There is an exception that allows a defective motherboard to be replaced with an equivalent motherboard.

Since you have an OEM license for XP, you will be in violation of the EULA if you install such license on the rebuilt computer, if the reason for upgrade is for performance reasons and not to replace a defective motherboard.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:27 AM
  • Ok Dan, (Thanks for the fast reply.)

What are my options? I obviously didnt buy all this new stuff just so it can be shut off due to 'Validation' problems. Do I need to 're-buy' Windows... I'm not made of money here.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 3:33 AM
  • How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone". 

The Activation Wizard displays the toll free number that you can dial.

You can open the Windows Product Activation wizard by clicking Start, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 3:45 AM
  • JohnnyB,

Your current copy of XP is tied to the old motherboard.

In order to remain in compliance with the EULA, you will need a new copy of XP to install on the new motherboard.

If you had a retail license for XP, that EULA allows you to move the license from one computer (motherboard) to another.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 3:46 AM