Installing WHS on external drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I wonder if I can install Windows Home Server RC1 on external drive.

This is my HD configuration

In my PATA drive there is three partition:

1. C: -XP -ntfs file system

No letter: Unknown file system: My backup (Phoenix Recover Pro) files

No letter: Linux ext3 boot files

2. My external drive (WD MY Book Pro Edition II)-this is where I want to install.

Can I install on external drive?

Also if i can install on external drive, can I dual-boot with XP?

Also what is name of file system used in WHS?

Thanks

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 4:39 AM

Answers

• No, you can't control the drive that WHS uses as it's system drive, other than by moving drives around on cables to get the one you want WHS on to be the first one presented to the OS by the BIOS.

Also, as laid out in the documentation, when you install WHS, it will format all drives in the system. You're given plenty of warning of this, bot in print and (repeatedly) on screen. So you will be unable to dual boot WHS with another operating system.

The filesystem that WHS uses is NTFS.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 11:43 AM
  • Windows Home Server will ask you to disconnect all USB drives during the installation.  You wouldn't be able to install.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:35 PM

All replies

• No, you can't control the drive that WHS uses as it's system drive, other than by moving drives around on cables to get the one you want WHS on to be the first one presented to the OS by the BIOS.

Also, as laid out in the documentation, when you install WHS, it will format all drives in the system. You're given plenty of warning of this, bot in print and (repeatedly) on screen. So you will be unable to dual boot WHS with another operating system.

The filesystem that WHS uses is NTFS.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 11:43 AM
  • Windows Home Server will ask you to disconnect all USB drives during the installation.  You wouldn't be able to install.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:35 PM