64 bit version? RRS feed

• Question

• Will there be a 64 bit edition?  I

I'd really like to use this software, I bought it without reading the box figuring it would install no problem...I was obviously wrong.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:14 AM

Answers

• Onecare 2.0 supports Windows Vista x64, but it is in beta right now.  It should be released to the public for download soon though.  Microsoft has stated multiple times that they have no plans to add support for Windows XP x64.

Hope that answered your question.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 4:06 AM

All replies

• Onecare 2.0 supports Windows Vista x64, but it is in beta right now.  It should be released to the public for download soon though.  Microsoft has stated multiple times that they have no plans to add support for Windows XP x64.

Hope that answered your question.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 4:06 AM
  • Any idea when it should be released? This looks like a good product but I'm worried avbout my 64 Vista with no virus protection.
    Thanks!
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:56 AM
  • myrenelyvius,

As already stated the release should be 'real soon now'. Can't give a date, but I'd go so far as to say it's almost time to hold your breath.

Another note for anyone with Windows XP x64 Edition. I don't believe that any official word has been forthcoming from Microsoft itself regarding possible support for the XP 64-bit OS. However, neother Steve nor I believe that support for XP x64 is likely, since the Windows XP OS has already entered the Extended Support phase of its lifecycle and it simply wasn't a widely sold OS, especially to the non-technical home user who was the original target market for OneCare. So in this particular case I wouldn't hold my breath.

OneCareBear

Thursday, November 15, 2007 5:32 AM
  • I use Windows Live OneCare on my TabletPC as well as my parents PC's which amounts to 3 desktops and 3 laptops. I would love to run it on my own desktop, but I'm that advanced consumer that everyone at Microsoft insists doesn't exist-- I run Windows XP x64 Edition.

I really wish I knew why Microsoft treated their own XP x64 release as the b**tard child when that role clearly fell to Windows ME. Never in my 18 years of working with and support Microsoft products has my experience been so jaded by their lack of support for the OS. The entire Windows Live Suite Installer doesn't work with it-- even though the individual products work just fine when installed via MSI installers instead of the Suite installer-- and the Zune software doesn't work on it either.

There are a lot more of us out here too, just look at the Zune forums, and you'd find about 50 within the past 56 hours. It's very discouraging that 64-bit is the future of Windows, and yet 64-bit has been so blatantly ignored and Vista is being forced on us like it's the socialized healthcare of technology.

I am between a rock and a hard place becase of their lack of support for the OS, because I either have to downgrade to XP 32-bit (which is fine, I suppose, since it has been Old Faithful the past several years), or I have to upgrade to an OS that I simply can't stand. As an advanced user I require stability and performance, and while I agree that requires giving up some compatibility, it should at least be supported by its own creator and their other products.

Just my two cents.

Regards,
    Aaron Hall

PS-- XP x64 is not in Extended Support yet, because it is in the same lifecycle as Server 2003 x64.
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 8:52 PM
  • I don't think Microsoft has ever stated that advanced customers don't exist, in fact up until recently they were the primary focus of most Microsoft products, since they typically purchase things like server operating systems and other specialized software.

I believe you've done quite a good job of describing the situation with Windows XP x64 yourself. It was created using the Windows Server 2003 code base and as such was really never a client operating system. On top of that, it was really an experimental platform, never intended to have a broad market base, so this inhernetly relegated it to precisely the status you described. It's code base also better aligns it with Antivirus products which support Widnows Server 2003.

As for OneCare and potentially other Windows Live products, these are clearly focused at the much more broad market base of general users, especially the non-technical users that mass market products most appeal to. The more technical users tend to prefer the very niche products like XP x64 that allow them to differentiate themselves.

Since OneCare was stated from the beginning to be targeted at the non-technical home user audience, it seems quite clear to me that it would be unlikely to ever support an OS that was targeted at a technical audience. Especially one based on a server OS and considered part of the Windows XP Professional product family, which is part of the business product grouping.

You're correct about the extended support, though I doubt the Windows Server 2003 x64 product is really directly related from a lifecycle standpoint. I'd think the rest of the Windows XP family would be more important which this Roadmap seems to bear out.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx?info=EXLINK

OneCareBear

Friday, November 16, 2007 4:16 AM
  • yes i upgraded to 64 bit and i understand there is a 64 bit version of one care coming . is it going to be like vista 64 bit and just a upgrade disk that u can order or do u have to order a hole new version. ty. and is there and anti virus that runs in 64 bit.

Friday, January 11, 2008 7:57 AM
  •  ramgiant wrote:
    yes i upgraded to 64 bit and i understand there is a 64 bit version of one care coming . is it going to be like vista 64 bit and just a upgrade disk that u can order or do u have to order a hole new version. ty. and is there and anti virus that runs in 64 bit.

OneCare for Vista x64 was released in November of 2007. A trial version is available from http://onecare.live.com

You can activate the trial by buying it online or using a retail key from inside the retail package. Note that you cannot install to Vista x64 with any CD of OneCare that is from a v1 or v1.5/1.6 package, but you can use the product key to activate the web install.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:40 PM