none
Points "system"

All replies

• Why stop there?  My Threads, post editing, editor toolbar, format code block, Enter key, login, profanity filter, abuse report, search, top answerer list, unread filter, tag cloud, profile, error messages: out with them!  Keep alerts, they work.  Basically NNTP through Google groups, it was state of the art not that long ago.

They are working on a rewrite.

Hans Passant.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 1:13 AM
  •   I also I lost points, a medal, code,answers, threads...I don't think the rewrite will solve all problems ...
    dni
    Friday, February 6, 2009 1:10 PM
  • They completely forgot about recognition when they rewrote the code.  Lots of stuff got bolted-on to a core, much like the 2.x version.  Faithfully reproducing almost all of the 2.x problems.  I don't think they'll make that mistake again, as long as the group doesn't dissolve like the 2.x group did.  Well, my glass is half-full.
    Hans Passant.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:00 PM
  • They had enought time to write just few scripts to correct....I don't think they forgot because there is recognition points system on the new forum....

Before "migration" I had over 7900 points and four medals. Now I have 6692 points and 3 medals.Where are the rest of points ?
    You can see my old points (7940) at 
    http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/User/Profile.aspx?UserID=321979&SiteID=1

dni
    Friday, February 6, 2009 2:52 PM
  • I (as well as a few others) are looking into the points at the moment. I have full confidence that the current points implementation is working correctly. The same can't be said for the previous point system. I'm just trying ot figure out if I can fully explain why the difference. (There are severalk possible reasons)

Thanks
    Matt

Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Friday, February 6, 2009 10:01 PM
  •  I am sure the old "points implementation" was working fine, I checked how my poins was "growing". I am also sure the current points implementation is working correctly. I lost my points after "migration" process in one day, so I'd like to know the reason....I think I deserve a explanation...
    May be can be errors for 100 or 200 points but not for over 1200 points !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dni
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 7:30 PM
  • Hello Dni,

We also think you deserve an explanation which is why we are looking into it and hopefully soon, applying a fix to set things right. We are making progress.

Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 11:39 PM
  • Finally I have a answer. Thank you.
    dni
    Monday, February 9, 2009 1:59 PM
  • Did you make some progress ? (I just received a gift from MS for four medals). Should I return it ?
    Ha,ha,ha .....

PS: It is fantastic!!!!! Now I have less points....(6712) and more answers (416) and more posts (1394). What kind of joke is that ? Are you playing with me ???????
    How can we trust in "points system".....????!!!!! Are you able to fix it ?

dni

Thursday, February 12, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Matt, have you moved all the Forums from the old forum? Maybe there are some points still left in there (like in Offtopic Posts section)?
    Lucian Baciu, http://studentclub.ro/lucians_weblog
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:54 PM
  • As far as I know, they have moved all the forums they plan to move. There is some loss due to OT and moderator forums, but I don't think that's significant. We're still working on tracking down the culprits, but our DB/migration expert has been busy...
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 7:42 PM
  •  

Did you make some progress ? (I just received a gift from MS for four medals). Should I return it ?
    Ha,ha,ha .....

PS: It is fantastic!!!!! Now I have same less points....(6712) and more answers (416) and more posts (1394). What kind of joke is that ? Are you playing with me ???????
    How can we trust in "points system".....????!!!!! Are you able to fix it ?

dni
    Friday, February 13, 2009 1:10 PM
  • Up...۩

When do you think I will receive a answer to my new questions ?
    May be you are so busy with patches this month....

dni
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 7:10 PM
  •  Up...۩

When do you think I will receive a answer to my new questions ?
    May be you are so busy with patches this month....

dni
    Monday, February 16, 2009 8:25 PM
  •   Up...۩

Hello , hello is there anybody in there....this month ?

dni
    dni
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:06 PM
  • We're still looking at it. We have found 1 bug I beleive, but the major conclusion is that the points implementation in 2.x was not "working fine". There are major inconsistancies in 2.x points, and no calculation we have tried has been close for a large majority of the users, so it is difficult to come to a conclusion as to "where the points went" when we can't tell where they came from in the first place.
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:32 AM
  • If the "2.x points" are not working correct it seems that all "transfered" users have wrog points.....So, now all points are not correct !!!!!! ...system is no more thrustworthy.
    If you are not able to transfer points why don't reset points to all users in new version, because we are so wrong in points ....????

PS. Why "Top Answerers" list is wrong is C# forum and Visual Foxpro ? See bugs section ....I found persons with more points after migration (I won't give id's, they are very quiet now ......) how can you explain that ? By malfunction of 2.x ? All happened in one day after migration .....
    May be "migration" added points to some users from other users ......

ARE YOU ABLE TO DO SOMETHING WITHOUT PATCHES, BOTCHES  AND SERVICE PACKS ???????

dni
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 1:08 PM
  • HOW LONG DO YOU THINK I NEED TO WAIT, TO HAVE A ANSWER REGARDING MY POINTS ?????
    dni
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Are you able to to fix something ? What is the status ? There are over 24 days from "migration".....
    dni
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:11 PM
  • I think Matt gave you an answer: "We're still looking at it. We have found 1 bug I beleive, but the major conclusion is that the points implementation in 2.x was not "working fine". There are major inconsistancies in 2.x points, and no calculation we have tried has been close for a large majority of the users, so it is difficult to come to a conclusion as to "where the points went" when we can't tell where they came from in the first place."

So they think there was a problem in 2.0 and you had more points than you deserve.
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:34 PM
  • That is not a answer, it is something which insult my intelligence....I repeat after migration some users have more points... others less..... Where are the "major inconsistancies in 2.x points"????????????????
    Only in my case system is wrong with over 1200 points ???????

dni
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:56 PM
  • dni said:

That is not a answer, it is something which insult my intelligence....I repeat after migration some users have more points... others less..... Where are the "major inconsistancies in 2.x points"????????????????
    Only in my case system is wrong with over 1200 points ???????

dni

What I said was that we DID find one problem. We're still workign on a fix for it, but since the problem isn't with how the points are calculated but with how some of the data was migrated, it's taking time to write the DB script, test, etc...

On top of that, even when we fix the problem, your points still won't match (nor probably anybody else's, though if they do it'll be a fluke). Some will be high, some will be low. We'll ever know exactly why either, because the point values in the 2.x system don't match the data that back the points up.

HTH
    Matt
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:46 PM
  • I began this topic with:

"The points and medals system is no more thrustworthy. Please drop it ....."

So why you don't reset the points to 0 ????

I don't believe you are working on a fix .....There's a lot of days from "migration"....I think you are waiting  to forget about points....

How can you make a so stupid "migration" without be sure of data transfered.....and without test accuracy of transfer.....

For me the system does not have credibility and cheats.... it seems this is the quality of software and support ....  please reset my points to 0, I don't need them ....and may be I will not need the forum ....

dni
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:05 PM
  • dni said:

I began this topic with:

"The points and medals system is no more thrustworthy. Please drop it ....."

So why you don't reset the points to 0 ????

I don't believe you are working on a fix .....There's a lot of days from "migration"....I think you are waiting  to forget about points....

How can you make a so stupid "migration" without be sure of data transfered.....and without test accuracy of transfer.....

For me the system does not have credibility and cheats.... it seems this is the quality of software and support ....  please reset my points to 0, I don't need them ....and may be I will not need the forum ....

dni

Ok, so if you don't need the points, why do you insist?
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:09 PM
  •  

Usually I don’t answer to stupid questions…but I’ll make an exception:

The problem is that system is not running properly there are a lot of complains….(see Bugs section) and migration is a failure just because points, answers and other things were not transferred properly….Most of people like you swallow bugs from software providers and flatter them, me not….

dni
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:30 PM
  • Let's not start a flame here.

Matt already told you there is an issue. Do you think that the problem will solve faster if you keep on posting 2-3 posts per day in this thread?

I'm gonna take out the "Alert me" option on this thread, cause you're uselessly flooding my email inbox with mails.
    Have a nice day,
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:01 PM
  • I intended to not continue but you ask me a stupid queston.... Remember ? "Ok, so if you don't need the points, why do you insist?"

I am happy your "Alert me" is working...
    Are you Matt assistant, may be ? If so, tell him the issue would not exist if the "migration" is made in a proffesional manner ...

dni
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:36 PM
  • After I give a answer I receive often a error 500 page:

Sorry, we were unable to service your request. Please try again later.
    dni
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:10 PM
  •  DO YOU HAVE A DEADLINE TO FIX THOSE BUGS ????

dni
    Friday, February 27, 2009 4:36 PM
  • dni said:

DO YOU HAVE A DEADLINE TO FIX THOSE BUGS ????

dni

No arrogance please.

Are you going to get any money for those missed points ?? Or are you planning to apply for MVP ?
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 10:23 PM
  • " Oh, yes I am loosing money for that" .... Arrogance is for you who accept amateur software ...

Joke:

Suppose someone is computer consultant, (not my case)…To show more skills to customers he is saying “I have x recognition points on msdn forum….” The customer will check (after migration) and he will find less, who is telling the truth ?

dni
    Monday, March 2, 2009 1:10 PM
  • We have spent some time looking into the inconsistencies between the 2.x and 3.x recognition points. To put it bluntly, the 2.x point system had major problems and the point totals were set but not audited. We spent time running queries for all users and many of the point totals are off. For dni the system stored the 7940 value in the points column. However, running a query against the system did not produce that number, it produced instead 6706. Even when we modified the query to not take into account the timebox the 2.x system was supposed to enforce, the number was not close to the 2.x point total.

Forums 2.x stored points: 7940
    Forums 2.x Database query, not enforcing the 2006 start date: 6706
    Forums 2.x Database query, including replies to one's own question threads with no date filter: 6846

Database queries included answers, helpful votes on all replies and replies to question threads (as noted above). We are considering creating a user stats page that will show a user their points in 3.x and all the counts they are based on. One good think about the 3.x point accumulation is that it is recalculated for any point event, so we recalc points every time based on the history of the user, we do not rely on the previous number which, if not auditted can get out of sync with not explaination. I plan to post an announcement to the forums letting people know why the number are sometimes different. Also note, we do have one known bug around not aggregating migrated thread helpful votes on messages that had more than five votes, this is in test now and should be deployed in the next couple of weeks.

Brent Serbus STO Forums Program Manager
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:49 AM
  •  

Wow…When I red it first I was prepossessed by your report…

When I red it second time, I noticed it is saying nothing…You said you are working to fixes and you came up with some doubtful queries which cover your mistakes...After “migration” I had 6886 points not 6706 or 6846 so I assume that it can be an error of 100 -200 points, but not over 1000 points. Your queries do not explain why some users have more points after migration (over 1000)…and other bugs…I am glad to learn you made queries not patches after migration, and my opinion is you should have tested before upgrade and correct “errors” before migration….It does not matter, for me the system will remain subjective,  I don’t trust in your figures and I am too bored to continue…whatever you say…good luck with queries gentlemen and thank you for your answer!!!

PS: Today I gave an answer and I did not take 2 points ......forget about it ....

dni
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 1:53 PM
  • Few hours ago I had one answer (2 points) + a vote but nothing is changed in my points....may be my points need an other "smart" filtered query.....
    dni
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:45 PM
  • Ha,ha,hah ....Today I received over 25 points doing nothing, just for criticize ....
    dni
    Friday, March 6, 2009 7:44 PM
  • dni said:

Ha,ha,hah ....Today I received over 25 points doing nothing, just for criticize ....

dni

We've still been having issues with the points aggregator process (the process that takes the points from several different DBs and adds them up to show you a total). The 25 "free" points you got today were the points you "didn't get" yesterday.

We've got a fix in testing for the issue, and hopefully this one will do it.

Matt
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 7:28 AM
  • dni said:

Ha,ha,hah ....Today I received over 25 points doing nothing, just for criticize ....

dni

Your post might have been helpful to someone which is not alerted, who knows...  :) 
    Arjun Paudel
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 12:22 PM