Had a Compaq with Windows Millenium Edition and want to upgrade to Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• Need help....

I have an old Compaq that came with Windows Millenium although I never got the CD. My friend installed Windows XP for me and now I am finding out it is a counterfeited version....

What is the best way to fix it? Can I simply upgrade or do I need to buy the advantage kit for 149 USD? It is almost better to buy a new computer for 500USD (Walmart) that already comes with Windows VISTA....

What should I do?

Thanks a lot,

Antonio

Thursday, July 5, 2007 1:04 AM

Answers

• Tony_Gurnee,

Purchasing a retail XP upgrade license probably won't help you because you do not have an upgradeable OS installed on the computer, nor do you have the CD for one to supply to XP Setup when it asks for the previous OS's installation CD as qualified upgrade media.  If you were able to get hold of a full retail CD for W98 or WMe, you could use that as the qualified upgrade media that would then allow you to install an XP upgrade license.

[IIRC, W98 will allow an upgrade to XP Home or Pro, while WMe will only allow an upgrade to XP Home.]

The XP Pro WGA Kit is a full retail license, so you could purchase the WGA Kit and install it on this computer, and if in the near future you decide to get a new or newer computer, you can legally transfer the XP Pro license to this new(er) computer.

Personally, I  know I would not be satisfied with the level of performance one would expect from a $500 WalMart computer.  Only you can answer that question for yourself.

Thursday, July 5, 2007 2:27 AM
  • Depending on your budget and exact needs there are a few ways to take which Dan and you discussed. Here is some additional information you can throw into the decision process

Contact Compaq Computers thru their website @ http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/phone_assist.html#section1.  The Technical Support number is 800-474-6836. Explain your situation and establish a service request (SR) for Reinstallation Recovery Software CDs.  The CS agent should be able to assist with your request and/or questions.

This would be a very cheap way to go but again you would be running a dated Operating System. Purchasing the WGA Kit for $149 is a good way. This can be transferred. Take care.

STephen HOlm, MS

WGA forum Manager

Thursday, July 5, 2007 10:05 PM

All replies

• Tony_Gurnee,

Purchasing a retail XP upgrade license probably won't help you because you do not have an upgradeable OS installed on the computer, nor do you have the CD for one to supply to XP Setup when it asks for the previous OS's installation CD as qualified upgrade media.  If you were able to get hold of a full retail CD for W98 or WMe, you could use that as the qualified upgrade media that would then allow you to install an XP upgrade license.

[IIRC, W98 will allow an upgrade to XP Home or Pro, while WMe will only allow an upgrade to XP Home.]

The XP Pro WGA Kit is a full retail license, so you could purchase the WGA Kit and install it on this computer, and if in the near future you decide to get a new or newer computer, you can legally transfer the XP Pro license to this new(er) computer.

Personally, I  know I would not be satisfied with the level of performance one would expect from a $500 WalMart computer.  Only you can answer that question for yourself.

Thursday, July 5, 2007 2:27 AM
  • Depending on your budget and exact needs there are a few ways to take which Dan and you discussed. Here is some additional information you can throw into the decision process

Contact Compaq Computers thru their website @ http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/phone_assist.html#section1.  The Technical Support number is 800-474-6836. Explain your situation and establish a service request (SR) for Reinstallation Recovery Software CDs.  The CS agent should be able to assist with your request and/or questions.

This would be a very cheap way to go but again you would be running a dated Operating System. Purchasing the WGA Kit for $149 is a good way. This can be transferred. Take care.

STephen HOlm, MS

WGA forum Manager

Thursday, July 5, 2007 10:05 PM