Money 2007 cannot-sign-in question RRS feed

• Question

• I'm unable to login into Money 2007 with "WinLiveID file access authentication" even when I click the box to login in offline it won't let me access my data.  How do I get around that?

Jay

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 1:53 AM

All replies

• Disconnect from the Internet. Open Money. Sign in offline. I hope you remember the credentials in effect when the file was last saved. Remove the LiveID within Money.

Do not attempt to change your LiveID.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Is there a solution if you did as requested by the software and changed your password?
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:03 AM
  • Is there a solution if you did as requested by the software and changed your password?

What I would do in that case is to disconnect from the internet, and try each set of credentials. You would try that for your *.mny file, as well as your newest and second-newest *.mbf files. If restoring from a *.mbf file, I suggest that you not restore to the "default location". Instead I would Browse to your Documents folder and pick a new name.

I have not put a LiveID on my Money file, myself. In reading about other's experience, I have not seen anybody report that changing the LiveID had a positive effect.

One more thing you could try is to see if salv.exe (level 2), in your Money install folder, can make a repaired version of your file *.mny file. I would do that while disconnected from the Internet also. Salv.exe will also ask for your credentials.... but maybe there would be success with access that way. If salv.exe accepted your credentials, at least you would know what matches what is on your file. Even tho it may well not help, it seems worth the try. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466 salv.exe does not operate on *.mbf files.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:18 AM
  • I tried your suggestions and still can't get into my data.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 1:48 AM
  • I tried your suggestions and still can't get into my data.

I don't know which suggestions you are remembering. I know you did not find the one about not changing your LiveID, until it was too late.

My recollection is that you lost access to your MONEY 2007 file well over a month ago. The suggestion to remove the LiveID involved knowing what credentials were in use when the Money file or backup was made, but you had lost that information. I also suggested contacting Microsoft Support while it is still available. I don't have a lot of hope for that, but it seems worth a try. I am not going to recommend a hypnotist to help remember the credentials that you use.

My remaining suggestion is to create a new Microsoft Money file. You will be entering your data from scratch. I would get all of the data online that I could. The financial institutions generally keep that info downloadable for an amount of time that varies with the institution. However the longer you wait, the more data that will be beyond that period. I know that is not the answer you want to hear. I don't think that anybody is sandbagging a better answer. The longer you put this off, the less data that will be downloadable.

After you have downloaded the available data, make a single compensating transaction in each account to compensate for the missing old transactions.

If you put a password on your file, make that a conventional password. Keep that password recorded in a secure spot, such as your safety deposit box at the bank. Review your backup strategy. Money 2007 and Money Plus both make backups of your four latest Money files by default. I tend to increase that number. It can be raised as high as 99, altho 4 is enough for most. Also have Money make a scheduled backup once per week. Make that be to a USB flash drive. And copy your backups to some secure place off premises in case of fire etc.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:01 AM
  • I am having a similar problem as above.  I tried not geing on the internet and it is stillasThe problem I have is that it is still asking for the password for the microsoft live id.  the passwork got lost when the computer crashed.  I tried creating a dummy file and I can access it off line, but still cannot access either the mny or the backup files. I changes my Live password, so i can logon to Live, but it will not unlock the existing file.
    • Edited by PurpleRose Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:44 PM
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:43 PM
  • do not have credentials that were last used. did not chanfe LiveID, but did change password -- since password lost.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:46 PM
  • The password is case-sensitive.  If you are not sure of your credentials, write down what you remember.  Consider permutations. Check your notes including the sticky notes around your desk. Think of other passwords that you have used in the past. Keep pencil and paper near your bed to write down ideas. You will not get into the file without those credentials (email address and password) in effect when the file was saved.

When you try your list of credentials to try, disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, click below the password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly, without access to all online services." then click Next.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 6:58 PM