Like everyone else, Windows XP not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive crashed (thanks for the warning, Western Digital!).  I bought a new hard drive and loaded Windows XP on it from my Dell recovery disk.  Before trying to load any other software on it, I wanted to use Windows Update to load SP1, then SP2 on it and get it current with all the patches.  I logged into MS, downloaded the tool required for updates; after the required reboot and logging back into MS, I get the "Windows Not Genuine" message.  Funny how it was genuine on the original hard drive but not now that it is loaded on the new hard drive.  I entered to COA 25-character number from the side of the case but MS tells me I am not genuine and won't give me any updates.  So how do I make MS realize this is genuine?
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 7:01 PM

Answers

• Galena Gary,

Nice move on the Seagates, 5-year warranty.

The diagnostic tools that the drive manufacturers have on their websites are there as a tool to predict or confirm hard disk failure, and in some cases to help generate RMA papework.  None that I know of are able to retrieve data.

If the data locked up on the bad disk(s) is priceless, best to use a manufacturer-approved drive repair facility.  If it's important but not that important, there are some data recovery programs that might help.  People tell me that this program works well:  http://www.data-recovery-software.net/

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:19 PM

All replies

• Galena_Gary:

Can you download and run this tool?

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please press “copy to clipboard” and paste the response on the forum.

Thanks,

Greg

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 7:07 PM
  • i get this

interestingly enough HP just reimaged this box and sent it back to me the key below is not the same as the one glued to the box. the one glued to the box will not even install with any XP cd i can find here at work. I have 2 identical boxes it says both are invalid 1 is using a freaking MSDN uni key...

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2MDY9-F6J9M-K42BQ
    Windows Product Key Hash: jY+nlE0RT38EEXpeUqSdQPABSQc=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2211906-00101
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro
    Download Center code: NMMXJ7
    ID: faf5d90d-f2ae-4687-a62b-2bbeece70eb2
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Failed to retireve file version. - 0x80070006
    Signature Type: Unknown.
    Validation Diagnostic: 16E0B333-138-80004005

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>faf5d90d-f2ae-4687-a62b-2bbeece70eb2</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.0.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-K42BQ</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2211906-00101</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-74049757-1256799619-874574627</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq </Manufacturer><Model>Evo N610c                           </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>68P4F Ver. F.1B</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040527******.******+***</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>C3BF3107018400E2</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 7:18 PM
  • hammackj:

Your log file shows that your copy of Windows is indeed genuine.

Please go to www.microsoft.com/genuine and revalidate. Let us know if that fixes your issue!

Thanks,

Greg

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 7:21 PM
  • When a major PC manufacturer re-images a drive, they use a one-time Product Key.  The HP OEM Product Key affixed to your HP computer is only valid with HP's recommended recovery procedure.  You cannot use a different Windows XP installation CD with it, such as a MSDN.
    Tuesday, May 30, 2006 8:28 PM
  • Galena_Gary,

Try validating XP from this link:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

For future reference once you get this situation sorted out, make a slipstreamed XP CDROM to use for repair and emergency startup.  The following link tells you how to use your original Dell OS Reinstallation CD, the downloaded Service Pack2 all-in-one file from MS, and a CD burning program, to make the slipstreamed CD.

http://vbdotnet.home.comcast.net/XP_SP2.htm

BTW, XP Service Packs are cummulative, meaning that SP2 includes eveything from SP1, and when it comes out next year, SP3 will include everything from SP1 and SP2, etc.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:04 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Galena_Gary,

Try validating XP from this link:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en

For future reference once you get this situation sorted out, make a slipstreamed XP CDROM to use for repair and emergency startup.  The following link tells you how to use your original Dell OS Reinstallation CD, the downloaded Service Pack2 all-in-one file from MS, and a CD burning program, to make the slipstreamed CD.

http://vbdotnet.home.comcast.net/XP_SP2.htm

BTW, XP Service Packs are cummulative, meaning that SP2 includes eveything from SP1, and when it comes out next year, SP3 will include everything from SP1 and SP2, etc.

Dan,

You really do need to realise that not everyone who has been caught out by MS poorly tested WGA software is:

a) Deliberately running illegal software and

b) Has the technical capability to make a slipstreamed copy of XP

Some people just buy a PC believing it should work once you have paid for it. You know, like a TV set. It's called understanding  customer needs

Fred

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:43 PM
  • Fred,

Galena-Gary was describing how he personally replaced a crashed hard disk drive and was reinstalling XP on his Dell.

If he is able to do that, I figured he was capable of making the CD.

When are you going to start your own thread regarding the problems you are having with your laptop?  If you need help, that would be a good way to start getting it.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:49 PM
  • Greg -

Here's what I've got:

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-QJJJK-3B4KV-282DY
    Windows Product Key Hash: WzZxfmYblnmED44tRiZ3VZlpKQk=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2113743-40576
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.0.0.hom
    Download Center code: NMMXJ7
    ID: e16a44fd-b9f1-43fa-af17-a2e981f7cd30
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Failed to retireve file version. - 0x80070006
    Signature Type: Unknown.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control:
    Active scripting:
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting:

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>e16a44fd-b9f1-43fa-af17-a2e981f7cd30</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.0.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-282DY</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2113743-40576</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-682003330-1425521274-2147039463</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>Dimension 4300               </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Version>A02</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20010910******.******+***</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>D583378F0184C05E</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 
    Thanks,

Galena Gary

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:02 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Fred,

Galena-Gary was describing how he personally replaced a crashed hard disk drive and was reinstalling XP on his Dell.

When are you going to start your own thread regarding the problems you are having with your laptop?  If you need help, that would be a good way to start getting it.

I've actually been onto MS & Dell support for an hour this afternoon - their only advice is to re-install XP. So I need to take 2-3 hours out from my business to fix a problem caused by MS.  Or pay MS to fix it or another £92 for software I've already paid for...

And your advice is to start another thread?  Class.  

Let me  spell it out for you as you are a MSFT stockholder

WHY AM I SPENDING HOURS OF MY TIME FIXING A PROBLEM CAUSED BY MICROSOFT?

You do understand don't you?

Fred

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:04 PM
  • Thanks, Dan, I was able to validate successfully.  Once I get this thing rebuilt I will build the CD you are talking about.

Do you by any chance have experience with Western Digital's diagnostic tool?  That puppy didn't recognize either of my WD hard drives so I couldn't try to repair any damage from the crashed C drive.  I decided to start with a new Seagate with a clean install and will try to salvage data later.

Thanks,

Galena Gary

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:11 PM
  • Galena Gary,

Nice move on the Seagates, 5-year warranty.

The diagnostic tools that the drive manufacturers have on their websites are there as a tool to predict or confirm hard disk failure, and in some cases to help generate RMA papework.  None that I know of are able to retrieve data.

If the data locked up on the bad disk(s) is priceless, best to use a manufacturer-approved drive repair facility.  If it's important but not that important, there are some data recovery programs that might help.  People tell me that this program works well:  http://www.data-recovery-software.net/

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:19 PM
  •  Fred12345678912 wrote:
     Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Fred,

I've actually been onto MS & Dell support for an hour this afternoon - their only advice is to re-install XP. So I need to take 2-3 hours out from my business to fix a problem caused by MS.  Or pay MS to fix it or another £92 for software I've already paid for...

And your advice is to start another thread?  Class.  

Let me  spell it out for you as you are a MSFT stockholder

WHY AM I SPENDING HOURS OF MY TIME FIXING A PROBLEM CAUSED BY MICROSOFT?

You do understand don't you?

Fred

Fred,

Well, no, I don't understand because you'd rather rant and rave than provide any concrete information about whatever problem you are having.

As of this time and date, 10 posts, all hot air and no info.  Apparently you do no want to be helped.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:23 PM