Upgrade on win.xp RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to upgrade from XP Media Center to XP Pro SP1 but when it's time to put in the product key it tells me it's invalid. Do i need a new cd or Product key to upgrade? This is a dell laptop preloaded with Media Center.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:59 PM

Answers

• "Danielr23" wrote in message news:8bd351a2-42e2-4a47-8944-4e1add9958b7...
    I am trying to upgrade from XP Media Center to XP Pro SP1 but when it's time to put in the product key it tells me it's invalid. Do i need a new cd or Product key to upgrade? This is a dell laptop preloaded with Media Center.

Windows Media Center is based on XP Pro - what are you actually trying to do?
    You should try installing SP2 rather than 'upgrading' your system (I'm not sure about SP3 for Media Center)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, December 17, 2010 11:22 PM
    Monday, December 13, 2010 10:11 PM

All replies

• "Danielr23" wrote in message news:8bd351a2-42e2-4a47-8944-4e1add9958b7...
    I am trying to upgrade from XP Media Center to XP Pro SP1 but when it's time to put in the product key it tells me it's invalid. Do i need a new cd or Product key to upgrade? This is a dell laptop preloaded with Media Center.

Windows Media Center is based on XP Pro - what are you actually trying to do?
    You should try installing SP2 rather than 'upgrading' your system (I'm not sure about SP3 for Media Center)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, December 17, 2010 11:22 PM
    Monday, December 13, 2010 10:11 PM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Friday, December 17, 2010 11:22 PM