Migration from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0 with concurrent hardware upgrades RRS feed

• Question

• First, many thanks in advance for taking the time to read this question.

Here is our situation:

1. Today, one Dell Server ("Server A") running SBS 2003 Premium, as well as MS CRM 3.0

2. We are about to purchase a second Dell Server ("Server B")

3. After Server B arrives, SBS 2008 Premium will be installed, configured with a new domain (our firm has a new name)

4. After all data (files and Exchange mailboxes) are migrated from Server A to Server B, Server A will be pulled from service

5. Server A will then be flashed and configured as the "second" server in a SBS 2008 Premium installation, with SQL installed

6. After SQL is installed on Server A, MS CRM 4.0 will be installed on Server A

So, here is our question: How do we migrate the CRM 3.0 data currently on Server A off of Server A, then back onto Server A once it has CRM 4.0 installed?

A few other points worth noting:

1. Very little customization has been done to CRM 3.0 - for the most part, changes have been limited to adding a few contact record database fields

2. The database has roughly 3,000 contact records, 1,500 account records, and 50 marketing lists

3. There are under ten users of the system

Please feel free to ask questions so that I can clarify the situation.

Again, our sincere thanks for your assistance.

JAO
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 11:14 PM

Answers

• You won't be able to migrate your 3.0 data to 4.0.  You will want to modify your plan so that you are redeploying 3.0 in the new domain.  Backup your databases, redeploy CRM using the redeployment tools and then upgrade to 4. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 18, 2009 2:33 PM
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:22 AM

All replies

• You won't be able to migrate your 3.0 data to 4.0.  You will want to modify your plan so that you are redeploying 3.0 in the new domain.  Backup your databases, redeploy CRM using the redeployment tools and then upgrade to 4. 
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, May 18, 2009 2:33 PM
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

As mentioned, you cannot migrate 3 to 4, you must upgrade the database, then redeploy to the new server and domain.  You could also redeploy to the new server and domain as 3.0 data then upgrade to 4, but I would strongly recommend upgrading in place first, then redeploy the organization in the new domain and clean SBS 2008 / SQL 2008 environment.

Here is a link to a previous thread concerning this-

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/crm/thread/7415c043-682b-4d67-ab99-ee951069d7ec

I would suggest a couple things, is your existing SBS 2003 R1 (SQL 2000) or R2 (SQL 2005)?  If it is R1 you have to upgrade in place to R2 regardless.  As I said, I think you should upgrade 3 to 4 in place also.  Do a reliable backup of the rig, then attempt the 3 to 4 upgrade.  Refer to the Implementation Guide and forum posts.

Speaking of which, I am concerned that you have not read the IG yet at this point since you should know by now that 3.0 and 4.0 databases are not even remotely interchangable.  Not meaning to be a jerk, but have you searched for this on forums yet?  There has been a great deal of discussion about this sort of scenario and there is a lot of existing information.

I do not recall that the SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 migration path includes changing the domain, you might want to look into that.  I think you are looking at starting a new SBS 2008 domain completely clean on the new server and then moving files and exporting/importing PST folders rather than attempting a migration.  With ten users the task is lengthy, but not forbidding.

If you possibly can, you should attempt the 3.0 to 4.0 upgrade in a test environment before setting out on the production end, even with no customizations nasty things can still happen.  Perhaps you could image your existing SBS 03/CRM 3 to your new server and try it there before installing your new SBS 2008.  You get three days before you have to vailidate windows on the changed hardware.  Backup your new Dell server image before you wipe it as well.
    • Edited by E. Palmer Monday, May 18, 2009 5:59 PM
    Monday, May 18, 2009 5:50 PM