Barebones Rack Mounted Server RRS feed

• Question

•  

Has anyone seen a barebones rack mounted server that would work well for a WHS installation?  I have a 19'' rack in my computer room that houses my personal web server, switches, etc.. It would be sweet if I could rack mount a WHS too.  Anyone rack mounted their WHS?

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:57 PM

All replies

• I haven't seen any rack mounted servers that are specifically built for WHS. There's no reason why you couldn't build one, though. I would suggest you choose carefully if you decide to purchase a storage server pre-built for use with WHS; some users have reported problems installing WHS on Dell, HP, and other servers. It seems like the more basic the hardware, the more likely you'll have a good experience.

You undoubtedly know this, but I'll point out that you'll wind up paying a premium for a server (or parts to build one yourself) that's rack-mountable over a desktop, minitower, or other form factor.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:40 PM
  • I have a copy running on a Del 1435SC rackmount. Installed with absolutely no problems. I use it for development/trial and testing.

However, the biggest drawback, is going to be power consumption. There, (as yet,) are very few server systems that are really power efficient compared to whats available for the desktop.

Colin

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 5:14 PM