none
Search engine in MSDN is very bad. It is full of bugs. RRS feed

• Question

• It is both a suggestion and feedback. I want to talk about the atrocious state of MS search engine. Not the commerciial one which does not seem to be good either, lacking behind google in quality as I've heard. I am a MS person because of my development work and I appreciate everything MS does except the search which is incomprehensible. It is terrible. I am of course talking about MSDN search engine.

When you key words into that narrow window upstairs you get at least one duplicate of the same web site on the first page. You can also guarantee that the same item/page/site will repeat countless times on the following pages? Is it a joke? Who did it?

Even worse, I think some innovation has been introduced, sort of SilverLight for the search. It's been heralded as a new experience. I ran into it tonight when I searched for the download site for File Transfer Manager Download. I got over 60K items which were idential. Page after page, line after line of same item.

Who is responsible for all this mess? Can you fire the scoundrel? It is a deleriction of duty. It is total incompetence. Why do you hire people like them.

I want to hear from MS.

AlexB
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:28 AM

All replies

• Railing at the machine, as usual.  Following your flawed logic, everybody at CodeGear should be fired.  After all, Visual Studio is so much better than Borland Builder.  The problem is not that Live Search is so bad, it is about at par with most search engines, it is that Google is so good at it.  Exercise your freedom of choice, use the product that provides you with the best bang for the buck.  Competition is a Good Thing, MSFT being good at everything is bad for business.  And don't send a "you suck" letter to CodeGear, they already know.  Poor guys.
    Hans Passant.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:46 AM
  •  I never spoke about Visual Studio. I know MS is superior to anybody in almost everything but the search. In order for me to send email to CodeGear, which I did not intend to do and never will because it will be pointless, I need to know who they are. What is CodeGear anyway? I am not privy to your inside knowledge.
    AlexB
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:42 PM
  •  MSFT being good at everything is bad for business. 

This is a flawed logic. It is MSND search engine I am talking about not the commercial product people use when they search at msdn.com. That one is OK. I always use it and have no complaints. I want them to improve MSDN search. Why shall I use google to search MSDN items?

AlexB
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 7:47 PM
  • Are you talking about http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/search ?

Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Friday, January 16, 2009 6:26 AM
  •  I have no idea what that page you pointed to means. Does not seem to have anything to do with any search at all. Isn't it clear what I am talking about? If it not, I guess, I have no talent to explain it to you. Nobugz had no trouble figuring it out because he uses the same search engine for MSDN daily, I guess, unless he's had it already in his head for years.

Just forgert about it.

AlexB
    Friday, January 16, 2009 1:34 PM
  •  Do you see that textBox (window) on the very top? Enter the words "File Transfer Manager Download." This is what I did two days ago when I tried to find the site where I could download it from. Click carriage return and enjoy the absurd result. There is a websie somewhere but it is NOT, I repeat, NOT among the selections. So, where is it? Disappeared? After threashing my brain for an hour I finally located it. I don't even recall how. Perhaps I weet to google after all and there it was.

Also when I did my search I got an even more ridiculous picture. I have no idea how it came about. There was just one item repeated thousand times across hundreds of pages. It was weird.

MSDN search engine is atrocious.

BTW, I've noticed a significant improvement in MS search engine that general public uses thru msn.com. It is getting smarter and smarter it seems. It can detect your misspellings, etc. Why cannot it be done here? There are many duplicates in every search. They clutter the selection. There should be additional choices/options for selection like limiting the search to certain time span, or certain forums, or an option to selet only MS documentation ignoring forum threads. Now it is all in one dogpile with many, very many redundancies.

AlexB
    Friday, January 16, 2009 1:50 PM
  • The page I pointed at has a search box on it. In fact, it's the page used by the search boxes at the top of this page. All of these use the exact same Live Search engine that MSN/Live uses...
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 2:58 AM
  •  I don't understand your rpoint. I compared search results from that page with the ones obtained thru this small narrow window on the top of the page. It is white on blue background currently. It is in the middle of the page's top. If you hover your mouse pointer over it you will see: Search Microsoft words appear.

The results in both cases were the same. The results were USELESS. I get a much better result at msn.com home page. What is your point?

AlexB
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 3:11 AM