CRM installation issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

My question is 1) Can I install CRM Server and CRM Client on same machine(win. server.2003) system.  When I am installing CRM server on win. server 2003 sys. it is asking for Active Directory (OUs) myne is a home pc(server), I had to work on a project on CRM.  With multiple paritions in my system can this be done.

1) Can i install active directory(ous) in local pc.  2) Can i install crm server & CRM Client on same machine. 

Any information on the same is of great help.

KSR
    Monday, February 8, 2010 10:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Answer to your question :

1. You can install Active Directory on Win 2003 server.

2. Yes, You can install CRM server & client on same m/c.

Here is the link for a document which is Step by Step CRM installation document.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ceb5e01-de9f-48c0-8ce2-51633ebf4714&DisplayLang=en
    Jai Ho CRM http://mscrmkb.blogspot.com Skype - amol.gholap
    Monday, February 8, 2010 10:51 AM
  • Hi Amol,

Thanks for your reply, my system is a single home-pc not connected to any network, when I start the installation CRM Server it always says "NO Activie Directory (OUs) terminating the installation.  I installed CRM Outlook client in one parition and completed successfully, and CRM Server in another partition, for CRM Server it will always fail.  I am not sure on how to create active directory on a win. server. 2003 PC. 

People who are working on CRM in our organization, they said that, we need network and one server system and one client system.  Then only we can work on CRM.  Is my understanding right?

KSR
    Monday, February 8, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Hi Karthik,

it is not compulsory to have server and client architechture.You can install CRM server in single system.You need to first install the active directory and then need to install the crm server.
    Note: while installing the crm server you need to give the domain administrator account while creting the organization in CRM.

Please find the link below which contains the installation steps and how to work on MS CRM.

http://books.google.com/books?id=PihVeJYAEHQC&pg=PT753&dq=MS+crm+unleashed&ei=MAZwS-OIJJPilQSfqaTjCQ&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Pavan

Monday, February 8, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Hi,

You cannot install AD on a local PC, only on a server.
    You can install both CRM Server and Client on the same machine, no problem

You might consider using a Virtual PC (VPC) to handle your CRM installation.
    Henrik Jensen Instructor / Consultant MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP, MBSS, MBSP, MCT www.crmblog.dk (Danish only)
    Monday, February 8, 2010 2:34 PM
  • You cannot install MS CRM on a home pc. You need a Windows servet with access to AD and SQL Server.
    Henrik Jensen Instructor / Consultant MCP, MCAD, MCSD, MCTS, MCPD, MCITP, MBSS, MBSP, MCT www.crmblog.dk (Danish only)
    Monday, February 8, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Hi Team,

My system consists of 3 paritions with Win. server 2003 R2, Vista, xp in different paritions, its not connected to any network, just home-pc, in win.server.2003.R2 I can install AD right, after than I can go ahead with CRM Server installation and CRM Client installation, it already contains sql 2005 and BI and sharepoint on port 80, with Visual Studio 2008 installation.  Am i missing anything here.   Is my understanding correct?  Kindly suggest.
    KSR
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:33 AM
  • Why don't you try the crm VPC if you only want to do some dev work at home. You can export the customization from the vpc and import it to production when you done your work.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:10 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks all for your valuable inputs, actually I am submitting a POC to customer, I want to know the feasibility of some of the features.  These are my doubts.

1) Is it possible to install CRM Server/CRM Client/ADS on single machine and do a testing.

KSR
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 4:06 AM
  • yes it is..
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Hi Smajlovic,

Thanks for your reply, can you pls guide me to any articles, which helps installing active directory.  Anything is fine, a step-by-step tutorial something like that.  I am a developer, don't know how to setup the active directory setup in my pc.

KSR
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:40 PM
  • ohh my bad.. you need server 2003 editon or 2008  to do that.. but here is a guide i use : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998088(EXCHG.65).aspx
    • Proposed as answer by iCRM Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:24 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:52 PM