Identifying Hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• In my setup, I have 2 1 terabyte drives and a 500 and 250 gig drive.  Since the 1 terabyte drives are the same size and manufacturer if whs reports a drive as being unhealthy, how do I determine which one it is?  Their doesn't seem to be any order as to the way the drives are listed in "Server/Storage" section.

I apologize if this has already been answered, I couldn't seem to query it successfully.

Thanks,

Tom

Sunday, January 25, 2009 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

the mentioned tool also shows the serial number of the disk in the details view. This serial number you can verify with the one printed on the disk label, so you can determine the disk causing trouble.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:37 PM

All replies

• I believe I found the answer:  http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/  Curious if anything else is recommended.

Thanks!

Tom

Sunday, January 25, 2009 5:04 PM
  • cpucandy said:

I believe I found the answer:  http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/  Curious if anything else is recommended.

Thanks!

Tom

That is what I use as well.  The problem is (in your case) you don't know which one is which at this point, so that add-in doesn't help you yet.  You need to determine which drive is which first (before you can link each drive to the wireframe).  In order to first determine which drive is which, you will need to power down the server, unplug a drive, then power the drive back on (make sure your server is completely up-to-date before doing this).  You will obviously get all sorts of errors.  But now you will also know which 1 TB drive you unplugged.  Now power down your server, plug the drive back in, power the server back on, then create the link from the drive to the wireframe.
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Hi,

the mentioned tool also shows the serial number of the disk in the details view. This serial number you can verify with the one printed on the disk label, so you can determine the disk causing trouble.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Actually, it based on the drive id (0-4) I was able to match each of the drives.  When I installed the drive cage, I made sure to take sata port 0 and put it in to the top position of the drive cage and then next one, etc..

Thanks for your help,

Tom

kariya21 said:

cpucandy said:

I believe I found the answer:  http://www.tentaclesoftware.com/whsdiskmanagement/  Curious if anything else is recommended.

Thanks!

Tom

That is what I use as well.  The problem is (in your case) you don't know which one is which at this point, so that add-in doesn't help you yet.  You need to determine which drive is which first (before you can link each drive to the wireframe).  In order to first determine which drive is which, you will need to power down the server, unplug a drive, then power the drive back on (make sure your server is completely up-to-date before doing this).  You will obviously get all sorts of errors.  But now you will also know which 1 TB drive you unplugged.  Now power down your server, plug the drive back in, power the server back on, then create the link from the drive to the wireframe.

Monday, January 26, 2009 5:59 PM
  • That is a very good idea.  I am going to be removing a 250 gig and 500 gig drive and replace with 1 terabyte drives.  Going forward, I take a note of the drive serial numbers for future reference.

Tom

Monday, January 26, 2009 6:01 PM