MSP2007 sp2- Close tasks to update remove tasks from a Timesheet but does not remove the Project. How to remove the project? RRS feed

• Question

• Once the project is complete the users don't want to see it in their timesheets. Close tasks to update removes the tasks from the users timesheets but not the toplevel Project. Is there a way for doing this? Other than deleting project from a published database? thanks in advance
    Monday, July 4, 2011 12:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• How are you creating your timesheets?
    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:42 PM
  • Hi, you schould archive the project. There is guide:

http://www.projectserverexperts.com/ProjectServerFAQKnowledgeBase/ArchiveCompletedProjects.aspx

Petr

Petr Štěpka
    Monday, July 4, 2011 7:51 PM
  • Hi Ben, The users manually fill in their timesheets with the Timesheet setting and default "Timesheets will be created by using Current Task assignments". There is no import from Tasks. I hope I answered the question.:) Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Thanks Petr for your reply. We don't yet want to archive the projects, that's the problem. :(

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:12 AM
  • What about setting the tasks to NOT Publish after the users have completed working on them ?

Andre

http://av-epm.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 11:12 AM
  • Thanks Andre. I need to remove the top Projects from the timesheets, not just the tasks.

If I remove a user from a Project once his work in that Project is complete

1) Will it affect the existing timesheets he has created with that project?

2) Will the assignments be lost or any loss in data that can affect the Users and Project data?

This is the only solution I can think of Thanks in advance

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 8:05 AM
  • Hey there,

As far as i know if you remove a resource (If that is what you mean) that resources actuals will be removed as well hence changing the Completion Status of the projects and that is what you DONT want.

Im talking under correction here, but i dont think it will affect the timesheet that has already been approved. I might think that there could be issues if one Recall and Resubmit the timesheet though.

Im just thiking of something now though. Are you talking explicitly about timesheets or are you talking about timephased task updates using "My Tasks" Just a quick one then, why whould you want to remove the details from a Protected Timesheet ? 

If this is not the case check if your default Timesheet creating mode is set to "Current Task Assignments" and Not Project. For all practical reasons the timesheets should then only contain Tasks not Project Names. Have you checked if you dont maybe Group By "Project" perhaps ?

PLease confirm and let us know.

Regards,

Andre

Sorry , i have just seen in a post above you mention the Timesheet Creation Mode. I leave it in for reference oneday though! :-)

http://av-epm.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:39 AM
  • Thanks Andre. I hadn't remembered Recall and Resubmit.
    Monday, July 11, 2011 7:08 AM
  • Unfortunately, this is an oversight in the design. It is not possible to remove the project name from the list.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, July 11, 2011 6:02 PM