bug or feature ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - i'm using synctoy to backup my photos across a laptop, a desktop and an external drive - i occasionally work on the files on any of the 3, and very often I add tags or rating in the windows vista live photo gallery

however i noticed that if i add a tag or a rating from my desktop for example, synctoy won't pick this up as a file change, therefore the changes i've made are ignored and not synchronized with the other copies of my pictures

bug or feature ?

thx

S.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 8:19 AM

Answers

• It is likely that when you change/add a tag to your picture in the photo gallery, the actual file time or size is not changing. Many photo applications do that. Unfortunately in this situation, SyncToy has no way of detecting that the file has changed which is why you're likely seeing this behavior. The only way I know of "fixing" this is to enable the Check File Contents check box in the folder pair options, but this will slow down your syncs considerably. You can give it a shot and see how it works for you.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:53 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I have to admit that I am not overly knowledgeable about Windows Vista Live Photo gallery, but I wonder if perhaps the tag information is actually stored separately from the file.  Perhaps it is kept in a separate tag folder or database?  If you right click on the picture properties, do you actually see this tag information associcated with the file?   

Liam

Monday, April 21, 2008 3:50 PM
  • in windows vista the ratings & tags are part of the files' properties - not sure it's teh same in XP. Clearly this seems like a bug that synctoy should fix - or even better, there should be a setting that gives users the option to look for ratings & tag changes when synchronizing files

S.

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:22 PM
  • I agree with you that this should be supported and will report it to engineering.

Liam

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:29 PM
  • It is likely that when you change/add a tag to your picture in the photo gallery, the actual file time or size is not changing. Many photo applications do that. Unfortunately in this situation, SyncToy has no way of detecting that the file has changed which is why you're likely seeing this behavior. The only way I know of "fixing" this is to enable the Check File Contents check box in the folder pair options, but this will slow down your syncs considerably. You can give it a shot and see how it works for you.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:53 PM
    Answerer