Nightmare key validation and customer support RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the 30 day trial of Microsoft Home Server and ordered an OEM license from Newegg. Entering the license produces the "Invalid Product Key" Message.

I called Microsoft Tech support. They said they could help me for $79. I explained that would be like paying $100 for a lock box and, finding the key doesn't open the lock, being asked for another $79 from the person who sold you the defective lock in the first place!

Microsoft tech support then told me the reason that I was having problems was that I had bought an OEM version of the software. They told me to request a refund from Microsoft and order a retail version from the Microsoft Store. I called the Microsoft Store and was told that they do no sell Microsoft Home Server. I asked to speak with 2nd tier tech support and was (after being disconnected twice) that Microsoft does not sell a retail version that OEM is the ONLY version.

I've learned my lesson. (Ubuntu is worth it!)This is my last Microsoft product, but because I have placed 5 terrabytes of movies and music on the server, MS has be by the short hairs.

If anyone has had similar problems that were resolved, I would love to hear about it.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:45 PM

Answers

• Which version of WHS you are asking about?

You can boot from the WHS DVD and (given it is offered) perform a server reinstall. In this mode the data will be preserved - but ensure to read each message carefully to avoid formatting of your data volumes.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:48 PM

All replies

• I'm pretty sure there's no way to upgrade a trail version with an OEM key.  You need to reinstall from the disc you got from Newegg and apply the key there.  And you need to back up the 5 terabytes to something else and transfer it back to the new install.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Correct. You need to reinstall using the NewEgg disk and code after which you are on your own. You have OEM software, support for which is provided by the OEM (You) - that's why it was cheap - you bought the software but not support. If you are not comfortable with that return it for a refund as long as you have not opened the package.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 2:07 AM
  • PhillipJH

A very glib answer, except that Windows Home Server is sold as OEM software ONLY, so there is no way for me to get tech support. This seems ironic, as the one would assume from the name "Home Server" that this is a server to be used by people at home.

Besides which, the problem is the installation key, not the software. It's the lock on the box, not the box itself.

Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:39 PM
  • working1:

Thank you for your answer. I will try this today. Now if you can explain to me why someone from Microsoft Technical Support could not give me that answer after 2 hours on the phone, I'd appreciate it.

And one other question: If I need to reinstall with the disk I got from NewEgg, why does the 30-day download package keep asking me to put in the activation key? In other words, if the only way to install the software is from the OEM disk, why does the downloaded version ask for a license?

Saturday, May 21, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Actually no, WHS Software is only sold OEM. You are free to go and but a Windows Home Server (software plus hardware) from an OEM who will provide you with support.
    Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:30 PM
  • What MS says on their download page for the trail version makes no sense:

"6. You may now use the Evaluation Edition for 30 days.

Uninstall notice: The Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition expires 30 days after installation, if activated. Please refer to the product documentation before installing the fully licensed version of Windows Home Server."

I recall at one time they issued keys to extend the trail to 120 days if you registered thru Connect.  That appears long gone, so 30 days is it and they have not bothered to update their code in the trail to reflect that.  Too busy serving their small business customers with RAID.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Which version of WHS you are asking about?

You can boot from the WHS DVD and (given it is offered) perform a server reinstall. In this mode the data will be preserved - but ensure to read each message carefully to avoid formatting of your data volumes.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:48 PM