Registration of Customer Portal with Windows Live ID. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, it seems that process of registering with Windows Live Id have changed since the "Customer Portal Deployment Guide_Azure_V2.0" document was written. I do not see UI which is described in this document on manage.dev.live.com. Is there more fresh documentation available? Did someone have success in registering customer portal with Windows Live ID using updated manage.dev.live.com site?

Monday, June 6, 2011 3:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Ryan:

The button should be available in the 'Web Authentication' tab at the very top of the screen.  If it isn't, or it doesn't work (it didn't for me).  You can simply enter any kind of unique text in the authentication code field manually and then save the record before sending out the invitation.

Hope that helps.

-JayB

• Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:46 PM
    • Marked as answer by Palak Kadakia Monday, January 23, 2012 2:49 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:19 PM
  • I heard that the Live ID team is working on this issue, and that in the meantime, you can call into support and they can manually set the return url for you.  Nothing has changed with the CRM 4 or 2011 versions of the portals - this is a change in the Live ID mechanism.  You are not constrained to use Live ID, you can use any membership provider.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    • Marked as answer by Palak Kadakia Monday, January 23, 2012 2:50 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:10 AM
  • I have the definitive answer from the Project Manager Palak Kadakia at Microsoft:

"Live-Id web-authentication was recently deprecated and stopped working for a bit. However, the change has been reverted and the portal live-id authentication should continue to work as before. There are some UI differences from what’s documented and I plan to write a blog with instructions on the new UI in the next couple of days.

We are working out a plan to update the portals to leverage either Messenger Connect which is the new supported way or ACS."

I have gone in to edit the live.azure.com application, and it will now allow a full path back to the liveID.axd virtual page.  The application seems to be working as intended now, so apparently there is no need for the validation, file download, and file integration piece mentioned in the installation documentation.

-JayB

• Proposed as answer by JBlaeske Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:28 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:28 PM
  • The Live ID authentication mechanism has very specific requirements, primarily because Live ID doesn't share anything with the portal - not even your email or Live ID.  This means that you have to use the invitation mechanism to authenticate for the first time, otherwise the portal only gets a UUID with no way to map it to a specific contact.  From the user experience you have mentioned, it looks like you haven't set up an invitation code and used the special invitation url for the portal.  This is documented in the documentation and is pretty simple.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    • Proposed as answer by Palak Kadakia Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:52 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:47 PM

All replies

• I am having the same problem for the Customer Portal in CRM 2011.  If I use the url specified in the documentation for 2011:  https://live.azure.com I can set up an application, but the interface there is greatly simplified over what is described in the documentation.  There is no validation, no file to download, and it will not let you specify a return url that contains a path to the liveid.axd page as specified.  Consequently the validation does not appear to work.  I am returned to my site without having logged in.

If I use the documentation from CRM 4.0, which specifies https://msm.live.com I can also set up an application.  However here the setup process seems to be much more complicated, including an INT and production environment, a host of settings (who knows how many of which actually apply here) and submission for compliance.  Compliance?  REALLY?  I have no plans to launch anything right now.  I just want to see if this app is going to work!  So far it's getting the thumbs down :(

Monday, June 6, 2011 8:22 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem, tried to implement one today :( Last time there where no problems.
    CRM Master
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 6:37 PM
  • I heard that the Live ID team is working on this issue, and that in the meantime, you can call into support and they can manually set the return url for you.  Nothing has changed with the CRM 4 or 2011 versions of the portals - this is a change in the Live ID mechanism.  You are not constrained to use Live ID, you can use any membership provider.

• Marked as answer by Palak Kadakia Monday, January 23, 2012 2:50 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 12:10 AM
  • A quick update after folloiwing the advice in the link and emailed support. It looks like this Live Web Auth will no longer work as the email I got back from support stated that:

"Web Authentication is deprecated and should no longer be used by partners going forward. In any case I've modified your existing Return URL manually but can't guarantee that this will work, as Web Authentication is no longer supported."

I am not sure what this means for how we will provide the authentication for this solution now.

Regards

Andrew

Monday, June 13, 2011 11:47 AM
  • I have the definitive answer from the Project Manager Palak Kadakia at Microsoft:

"Live-Id web-authentication was recently deprecated and stopped working for a bit. However, the change has been reverted and the portal live-id authentication should continue to work as before. There are some UI differences from what’s documented and I plan to write a blog with instructions on the new UI in the next couple of days.

We are working out a plan to update the portals to leverage either Messenger Connect which is the new supported way or ACS."

I have gone in to edit the live.azure.com application, and it will now allow a full path back to the liveID.axd virtual page.  The application seems to be working as intended now, so apparently there is no need for the validation, file download, and file integration piece mentioned in the installation documentation.

-JayB

• Proposed as answer by JBlaeske Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:28 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:28 PM
  • Can you please provide the steps to host it in iis. Iam getting the error Devicename already exists. My email is boopeshbabud@zsl.com Thanks in advance
    Friday, August 26, 2011 9:18 PM
  • I'm able to set the return url to http://host:port/liveID.axd in Azure, however, after following the link to login I'm redirected back to the site and it appears that it knows nothing of my authentication.  If I click on sign in again, it simply redirects back to the page without asking me to log in again.  This tells me that I'm logged in with windows live but the website was never passed anything to understand that.

Please give me an update on how this is supposed to work.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Have you updated the connection information in your web.config file to include the client id and secret that was created as part of the windows live application registration process?  The ConnectionStrings section should be something like this:

<

connectionStrings

>

<

add name="Xrm" connectionString="ServiceUri=http://<<crmurl>>/PortalAccelerator/XRMServices/2011/Organization.svc;"

/>

<

add name="Live" connectionString="Application Id=<<liveid>>; Secret=<<livesecret>>"

/>

<!--

<add name="Bus" connectionString="Service Namespace=???; Service Path=???; Issuer Name=???; Issuer Secret=???; Include Exception Detail In Faults=true"/>

-->

</

connectionStrings

>

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Yes, I've updated them as follows:

<connectionStrings>
            <add name="Xrm" connectionString="ServiceUri=https://crmServer/orgName/XRMServices/2011/Organization.svc;

Domain=domain; Username=user; Password=password"/>
            <add name="Live" connectionString="Application Id=00000000########; Secret=################################"/>
            <!--<add name="Bus" connectionString="Service Namespace=???; Service Path=???; Issuer Name=???; Issuer Secret=???; Include

Exception Detail In Faults=true"/>-->
        </connectionStrings>

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Sorry, I am left with just a few thoughts, all obvious:

1. Connecting to the CRM Server from your Portal App:  If you run your Portal app pool under a specific user account, you don't have to expose the user name and password under your connectionString information.  Make sure the connection works from your portal host to the CRM host.  From your description it does sound like this is working already, though.
    2. Make sure your portal url is available from outside your LAN/VPN.  Test the URL you entered in the Live application from an external machine somewhere.
    3. Make sure you have set up your contact properly and sent out the invite to your windows live Email.  For me, the 'Create Invitation Code' button didn't work, so I had to enter one by hand.  Each contact's invitation code must be unique, and each contact must be set up with a password question and answer.
    4. If all else fails, you can set a breakpoint in the portal's validation code to see if you're getting any kind of error message back from the call to Windows Live. 
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:33 PM
  • Okay, so reading your comments and doing some looking got me to read the Functionality and Administration Guide.  The only issue is that I can't see the "Create Invitation Code" button on the Contact form now.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help by the way.

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:39 PM
  • Hi Ryan:

The button should be available in the 'Web Authentication' tab at the very top of the screen.  If it isn't, or it doesn't work (it didn't for me).  You can simply enter any kind of unique text in the authentication code field manually and then save the record before sending out the invitation.

Hope that helps.

-JayB

• Proposed as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:46 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:19 PM
  • I'm able to set the return url to http://host:port/liveID.axd in Azure, however, after following the link to login I'm redirected back to the site and it appears that it knows nothing of my authentication.  If I click on sign in again, it simply redirects back to the page without asking me to log in again.  This tells me that I'm logged in with windows live but the website was never passed anything to understand that.

Please give me an update on how this is supposed to work.

Hey Ryan,

Any luck on this?  I'm having the EXACT same issue.

-Michael

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:41 PM
  • The Live ID authentication mechanism has very specific requirements, primarily because Live ID doesn't share anything with the portal - not even your email or Live ID.  This means that you have to use the invitation mechanism to authenticate for the first time, otherwise the portal only gets a UUID with no way to map it to a specific contact.  From the user experience you have mentioned, it looks like you haven't set up an invitation code and used the special invitation url for the portal.  This is documented in the documentation and is pretty simple.

• Proposed as answer by Palak Kadakia Thursday, November 10, 2011 10:52 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Hey, thanks a lot for the reply Shan.  The user I am testing with probably did get wiped out from staging to production.  I'll check that out.  Thanks again!

-Michael

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:49 PM