Problems opening backup on new computer. Password error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I know this has been discussed but despite trying the solutions I could find, nothing helped and I NEED to open my backup (8 years of information!).

Here's my info:

I used to have Microsoft Money 2007 (version 16.0.150.1303) on my old laptop.

I installed the original version on the new laptop but it won't open my backup saying the password is incorrect. I can't look up the version of the fresh install as I can't open it (or is there a way?). Anyway, I must assume it's not the same version. So then I read I should install the new Sunset Money, which I did but it still doesn't open my backup, saying I have the wrong password. I have looked everywhere for an answer. Can anyone please help me????

Thanks in advance!

K

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 5:57 PM

All replies

• Money Sunset is able to open Money 2007 files, so that is not the cause of your "incorrect password" message.

First, be sure that you have a backup of your Money.mny file (preferably more than one) on a DVD or flash drive.

Now, some questions to help us under stand your situation:

- When you open your Money.mny file on your old laptop do you need to enter a password?  Does it still work?

- Is that password associated with a Microsoft account and email address or is it a local password?

- If you copy your Money.mny file to your Documents folder on the new laptop, what happens when you double-click on it to open it?

Bill Becker

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:02 AM
  • Oh, thank you so much Sir, you just made my day! Aware that this is such an old outdated topic I thought nobody would bother. Ok, to answer your questions:

When I open my money file on my old laptop the password is already written (I know what it is) and it opens without any problem.

That password was associated with my hotmail account at the time. With all the changes with hotmail/outlook/microsoft/skype etc. I got a little confused and  I believe I changed it and thus my email password (i.e. the one associated to my microsoft account is now different). That being said I never used any online services so I believe the password for Microsoft Money should only be a local one.

And regarding your last question, I don't know where to find a money.mny file. I made a backup (an .mbf file) which is what I'm trying to open (also tried to restore it from the newly installed programme). 

On the old laptop I only seem to find an .exe file and a sample.mny but that doesn't seem to open. On the new laptop in the programme files for both Money 2007 and Money Sunset I couldn't find any .mny file ... When I click on the normal link (.exe file) it opens normally but tells me the password or email is incorrect. I have tried all the possible passwords, also the one associated today with my email account, just in case, but nothing seems to work.

Hope I'm not being thick but it's all quite confusing for me.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:35 PM
  • Copy Sample.mny from your install folder (typically

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\"

or
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\" with 64-bit Windows) to your Documents folder.  Open Money
    by right-clicking that copy of sample.mny and choose Open. 

You cannot find your *.mny file on your old laptop? One way to find it is to run this command in a command window:

dir /s \*.mny

You can also install a program that can search your whole computer. I like Agent Ransack. I know the name sounds scary. It also goes by  "FileLocator Lite" for those who don't like the Agent Ransack name.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:41 PM
  •  Yes, there is potential for confusion!  Here are some basics. Please be patient with me if you already know all of this.

- When you open money with the exe file or a shortcut it "remembers" the most recently opened Money.mny file and opens that.  So if you want to open a different file or a backup, you need to double-click it or right click it and select "Open".

- The Windows operating system wants your Money.mny file to be in your documents folder.  It will open files (like Sample.mny) that are in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus\ folder but it won't save any changes to those files when you close Money.  It does this to protect the integrity of the program files.

- In the past, the Money program communicated with your Microsoft account.  That stopped a number of years ago.  This means that anything you did to your account since then is invisible to the Money program.  Money only knows about the password that was in effect when the server went offline.

OK, what to do?  

- Follow Cal's advice in the previous post to find your Money.mny file on your old laptop.  Back it up!  To more than one place!

- Follow this advice from Cal using Money 2007 on your old lpa"margin-bottom:0in;line-height:100%;">Disconnect from the Internet. Pull your ethernet cable or turn off

your modem -- whatever it takes. Start Money, click below the

password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,

without access to all online services." then click Next.

If you get into your file,

remove your LiveID. Do not attempt to change your LiveID. If you

already changed your LiveID, use the credentials that were in

effect at the time that you saved that Money file. To remove the

Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your

LiveID. To remove or add a conventional password, also see

File->PasswordManager.

The password is case-sensitive. If you are not sure of your

credentials, write down what you remember. Consider permutations.

Check your notes. You will not get into the file without those

credentials in effect when the file was saved.

- Then save your file with a new name such as Money1.mny and copy that file to the Documents folder on your new laptop.

- Open that file on your new laptop with Money Sunset.  (To avoid confusion, you may also want to uninstall Money 2007.)

If this all works and before you celebrate with your favorite beverage, look at the first "sticky" post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/important-patch-for-money-plus-maybe-20062007-mnyob99dll?forum=money

and follow the instructions to replace the current mnyob99.dll with a patched version.

Post back if you need more help with any of this and let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:15 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:07 PM
  • Apologies for the numerous edits and garbled text in the above post.  This forum does not handle edits well.  Any way to see the HTML?

Bill Becker

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 4:19 PM
  • Dear Cal and Bill, Sirs, thank you both so much for your time and explanations. No worries with the edit etc, it's quite legible to me.

I will read this carefully and follow every step and get back to you with the result as soon as it's all been done. Thanks again and I wish you both a nice evening! 

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:13 PM
  • Just to complicate things, I noted that you spelled program with an mme, a non US spellingIf you are Canadian, this is not an issue as Money 2007 and Money Sunset will open Canadian (and US) *.mny and *.mbf files.  However, if you are elsewhere, are you sure that your *.mny/*.mbf file was created using Money 2007?  If it was created by the UK or International English versions of Money (the last version was Money 2005), Money 2007 will not open the file and you will will get a (mislabeled) password error.

• Edited by bobjbkln Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:40 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:37 AM
  • Just to complicate things, I noted that you spelled program with an mme, a non US spelling.

Good catch!

Money 2007 was not issued as a UK or International version, but maybe Kaeng was mistaken about the older laptop running Money 2007.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:12 PM
  • Hello again, 

you are right and I am writing from Europe (France actually ;) ) but I checked again and the version on my old laptop is definitely Money 2007 (version 16.0.150.1303 to be exact). I don't know where the original came from as my ex installed it for me and gave me a copy in case I needed it. I installed this at first on my new laptop but it has now been replaced by Sunset.

So that's one thing cleared.

Second thing: 

As you instructed above, I copied the file "sample.mny" from my old laptop to the documents folder on my new laptop and opened it (right click / open), to see what happened and this is what it said: 

-start quote-

Money will convert your file so that you can work wit it in Money.

First, Money will make a copy of your original file:

C\Users\PC\Documents\sample.mny

Then, it will upgrade your file to Money.

The first time you update Money online, it may take longer than usual.

If you previously used a password with your Money file, use the same password to open the upgraded file in Money.

Would you like to start a new file?

In the upper-left corner of your screen, click File, and then click New.

-end quote-

I haven't done anything with this as I wasn't sure and wanted to wait for your instructions.

Sadly I haven't had time to do all the rest of the steps you gave me above but as this question came earlier, I will wait for your answer in case it changes anything of the above instructions.

Thanks for all your help and kind regards!

Thursday, December 22, 2016 5:32 PM
  • That sample.mny conversion would be interesting and useful. Before doing that, rename the copy from the old laptop to something like sample7.mny on the new laptop to distinguish it from other files.

If you do that, expect it to convert the sample7.mny file, and to leave sample7.m16 on the disk. That will be a copy of the unconverted file.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 8:13 PM
  • Again, I don't mean to be a pain, but one has to be sure.  Are you sure that the data file from which the backup was made was created with your Money 2007?  Did that  Money file  work on your old laptop? 
    Friday, December 23, 2016 4:31 AM
  • Hi again, 

to Bill: If I understand you correctly, you want e to save TWO copies of the sample.mny from the old laptop on the new one and change the name of one of those copies to sample7.mny for example. And then go through the steps that Money takes me through and see what happens? I'm happy to do that but I don't see how this will bring all my info from the old laptop to the new one (as far as I understand that is only contained in the backup). GOD this is confusing!

Just to make sure: what you're telling me above, do you mean you want me to change my Live ID and password??? I don't really understand, as it sounds like you are not sure I know my sign-in details. I DO know them and they never changed. (The only thing that did change, and quite recently, so I think AFTER the online services stopped, was the password of my email account, Microsoft account etc (but I can't see how it could be connected). Even so, I tried all the possible passwords anyway and NONE worked.

To Bob: yes absolutely sure. When I open the programme, it clearly shows Money 2007 and I gave the exact version (which I found in "About", a bit higher up.

Just so there are no misunderstandings, here a quick repeat of my problem, as I may not have made that clear enough: I CAN access my file on the old laptop, no problem at all. It opens with my email address and my password (which I never changed on Money, it's always been the same password and I normally DON'T connect to the internet. I always select "without access to all online services"). I can work on it perfectly fine and when I close it, it always makes a backup, so I haven't lost any data. And I COULD in theory keep working on my old laptop. But the problem is, it's about to die on me and I'm really scared it will do so before I'm able to open the backup on my new laptop. So, again, the ONLY problem I have, is to find a way to open the backup on the new laptop.  As I explained before, I installed Money 2007 from the CD I have but when opening the backup it said the email or password wasn't correct. With Sunset it does exactly the same thing.

So, I'll just wait again for your instructions. Sorry to be a pain. And please, when you explain the steps, imagine me as an 80 year old granny  (which I'm not but in regards to computer it's as if I were!!). Thanks a lot for your time!

Friday, December 23, 2016 1:48 PM
  • Not to worry.  You are not being a pain.  There is a lot of patience on this forum!  Getting Money working on a new computer is something that most people do once every three or four years so no one expects you to be skilled at it. 

Sample.mny - I think that the reason Cal suggested copying this to your new computer was to verify that the Money program on your new laptop is working properly.  As its name implies, Sample.mny is just an example of a Money file but it's a "known good" file that can be used to verify that the installation of Money is OK.  You reported that Money Sunset wanted to convert the file and you stopped at that point.  The "conversion" is offered because the Money Sunset recognizes the file as a Money 2007 file.  That is good!  It means that the Sample.mny file that you copied from your old laptop is recognized by the Money Sunset program on your new laptop.  Although Money Sunset uses a newer format, it can read the Money 2007 file and convert it to the Sunset format.  That means that you can do the same thing with your actual Money.mny data file.

Getting your data transferred - Because you have an email and password on your Money.mny file, the Money program on your new laptop (2007 or Sunset) "thinks" that your file is still associated with your Microsoft account.  To remove this association, you need to follow Cal's process on your old laptop.  I paste ii here again and pray that the forum Gods don't mess it up his time:

Disconnect from the Internet. Pull your ethernet cable or turn off

your modem -- whatever it takes. Start Money, click below the

password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,

without access to all online services." then click Next.

If you get into your file,

remove your LiveID. Do not attempt to change your LiveID. If you

already changed your LiveID, use the credentials that were in

effect at the time that you saved that Money file. To remove the

Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your

LiveID. To remove or add a conventional password, also see

File->PasswordManager.

The password is case-sensitive. If you are not sure of your

credentials, write down what you remember. Consider permutations.

Check your notes. You will not get into the file without those

credentials in effect when the file was saved.

Just remove the password and save the file as MoneyNP.mny or a similar name.  Do not add a password at this time.  Then, copy the MoneyNP.mny file to your new laptop, and open it with Money Sunset.  Sunset should offer to convert it and your should accept the offer and save the converted file as MoneyNew.mny or something similar.  It's important to use distinct file names throughout this process so that you don't overwrite an existing file or get confused about whether a file has been converted or not.  Once you have your data file working with Money Sunset on your new laptop (yea!) you can move the old files to a different folder and eventually delete them.

Post back about how to do the patch to Money Sunset once you are successful with the above.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Friday, December 23, 2016 5:01 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2016 4:59 PM
  • Thanks a lot Bill.

Will be travelling for the next few days, so no possibilities to concentrate on this matter until THursday, but I will post back as soon as I have had the time to deal with this next step. 

In the meantime, Merry Christmas to you all and I hope you all have a lovely time with friends and family!!

Kindest regards. Kai

Saturday, December 24, 2016 9:08 PM