Use of SafeModeAVScanner from Recover Partition Boot RRS feed

• Question

•  

My problem: I cannot boot Vista (STOP 0x0000007B - inaccessible boot device), and I cannot boot Vista in Safe Mode.  However, I can boot to a recovery partition (standard with Dell PCs) that gives me the various repair options.  Repair and restoring to last good restore point have not worked.  Chkdsk shows no problems.  I suspect either a boot sector problem or a hardware problem, however, before I try to repair the boot sector, I want to scan for viruses.

My question:  Can I run the SafeModeAVScanner program from the repair console booted from the recovery partition?  Since this is different than booting from Safe Mode, and I cannot find any other mention of this, I want to ensure this will safely work.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:53 AM

Answers

•  

This would not be possible. Since the SafemodeAVScanner needs to run exactly in a safemode environment. The OneCare Malware components and services must be present if you would run it. Since the recovery partition is not the active partition where OneCare was installed there would be no components or services that it can use to execute the scan.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:44 AM
  • About your only option would be to obtain a scanner that can run from a bootable disk (USB stick or CD/DVD). Alternatively, remove the hard drive from this PC and attach it to another PC and scan it from an active operating system.

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:34 PM

All replies

•  

This would not be possible. Since the SafemodeAVScanner needs to run exactly in a safemode environment. The OneCare Malware components and services must be present if you would run it. Since the recovery partition is not the active partition where OneCare was installed there would be no components or services that it can use to execute the scan.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 8:44 AM
  • About your only option would be to obtain a scanner that can run from a bootable disk (USB stick or CD/DVD). Alternatively, remove the hard drive from this PC and attach it to another PC and scan it from an active operating system.

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:34 PM
  • Thanks for the responses.

The answer is pretty disappointing - I expected more by choosing Microsoft's antivirus technology.  Seems to be a huge hole in the Live OneCare product features.

Norton Antivirus allows creation of a "Basic Rescue and Emergency Boot Disk", and I imagine most of the other competitors have something similar.  Sounds like Live OneCare does not have anything like this.  Awful.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:13 PM
  • Yes, that would be a nice option to have, but I suspect that the reason it isn't provided is that typically, recovering from a system problem that inhibits booting isn't something that the average user is going to be able to deal with. Note that I said "average" and that would be the target audience. Yes, there are many outside of that specific definition who also use OneCare, but I believe that the widest usage is going to be a home user who, when faced with a problem such as this, would contact OneCare support or the support for their PC manufacturer. If they contacted the latter, the odds are that they would be guided through using the recovery partition or discs to wipe the PC and restore it to factory defaults. If that failed, they would probably be sending or taking the PC in for repair, unlike you and I who will seek to repair the problem ourselves and who want to rule out a virus on the drive, too.

In my opinion, I'd try repairing the MBR and then booting to Safe Mode to do the scan if that is successful.

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:21 PM
  • Still disappointing.  This feature should be added to the roadmap for this product.

BTW, is your last name really Boots?

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 5:56 PM
  •  golfgeek2 wrote:

Still disappointing.  This feature should be added to the roadmap for this product.

BTW, is your last name really Boots?

I don't know what the roadmap for OneCare holds, so I'll simply add that I agree.  I'd like to see it made a simple option - make a recovery disc.

Yes, that's my given name on my birth certificate.

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 6:25 PM