PIC connectivity RRS feed

• General discussion

• Wanted to comment on PIC connectivity. I really believe this functionality should be part of the product but not licensed seperately. At least for federation with MSN IM.

Or beta testers and Microsoft partners should at least get free access :-)

Nóri

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 12:53 AM

All replies

• MS has to pay royalty fees to AOL and Yahoo for the PIC service, which is why there is a fee for this.  It's largely a cost recovery mechanism - I believe MS makes little to no revenue on PIC licensing.
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 6:04 PM
  • Yep. I was only to refering to MSN PIC. Customers find it strange to have to pay to connect Communicator to MSN when they can run Live Messenger for free.

But I understand the reason being cost recovery. But if that's the case adding this cost to the license for OC or OCS would be much wiser. Then people think they're getting it for free

One of the first questions I get from people is "Can I add MSN contacts to this?". Having to tell them it costs per user is a hard sell.

Nóri

Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:17 PM
  •  

Well,

I don't understand the reason. It's acceptable for AIM and Yahoo, but why for MSN? I mean, there is no such thing like paying royalties for MS WSUS, MS Web, MS MSDN, MS etc - why does MS start to collect money for a connection between a Microsoft Product and a Microsoft Service when the service itself is free for the masses (MSN Messenger)???

All in all I think it is a wrong decision and not very wise because it's a win-win for MS to make it a free connection. Marketing for OCS would include free and simple MSN connectivity and for MSN the free connectivity for biz customers would push companies to disconnect AIM and Yahoo in corp environments.

But anyway: When we would like to try the connectivity during BETA, which license do we have to BUY to make it work? Any help???

Thanks!!!!

Monday, June 18, 2007 12:39 PM
  • Perhaps it's a legal thing... they have to charge something because the other IM providers would complain it's anti-competitive.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 10:57 PM