none
Port Forwarding

Question

• Hi all.

At the University of Huddersfield we decided to do a little experiment and have set up a dual booting cluster with an self written agent that allows machines to reboot into a different operating depending on the load in the queues. We are running HPC 2008 r2 BETA on these machines. Both head nodes and compute nodes are behind a linux NAT.

Our problem is that we are trying get the HPC Cluster Manager installed on lab machines running WinXP SP3 and we are getting errors.(All machines cluster and lab are on the same AD and the user accounts are placed on both). Initially we had 3 machines behind the NAT that would allow users to come sit on and submit their jobs but now we cant give access to those machines after hours and we want users to be able to use the HPC manager to submit jobs from their own workstation.

When we get the software to connect to the windows headnode it gives us the error "There was a network problem or the server was disconnected. Please try connecting again" and sometimes gives us "Failed to connect the following service(s) on the head node: diagnostic services."

We have configured the NAT to forward the ports listed in the documentation to the enterprise card on the head node but it still seems like some ports are blocked.

These are the ports we forwarded: 5969,9892,9893,5970,9794,9087,9088,9089,1856,8677,6729,5800,5801,5999,443 this list we found at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc719008(WS.10).aspx

Please let me know what i am doing wrong and how we can give the interface across our campus.

Regards

Ibad

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 11:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ibad,

There are two potential blockers for your scenario that I can think of at the moment:  Windows firewall/GPO/IPSec policies enforced on the cluster head node's Enterprise network and/or a potential interop problem with your NAT server / router.  I would try a network tracing tool on your Windows head node and/or client for starters (e.g. NetMon, WireShark, etc.)

I don't think there's an easy answer here without more specifics (ie. what software is handling yor NAT servicing).

--Brian

Saturday, May 29, 2010 5:30 AM
  • I dont think its a windows firewall issue as if i were to directly connect the enterprise interface to the university network everything functions normally. Ill try a traceroute but i dont think it will reveal anything because just by bypassing the NAT all the problems go away so the error is in that hop.

The NAT is configured using IPTABLES with all the above mentioned ports being forwarded to the Windows head node. I have added a diagram of the network layout is like. I know its not the smoothest way to have them connected, but when we set up we had to keep all our machines behind the NAT.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41881954@N07/4649318377/

Saturday, May 29, 2010 12:39 PM
  • The port 5974 is used for diagnostic service which is not listed at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc719008(WS.10).aspx, so try forwarding that.

pm
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:58 PM