Any value in extra RAM? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm thinking of building a WHS, but the machine I am planning on putting it on has 6GB of RAM.  Is there any way to take advantage of the 2 extra GB?  The immediate thought I had was a ramdisk for a pagefile, but none of the ramdisk programs I'm aware of mention supporting WHS.  Would this have to be put on a 64bit virtual machine to have the extra memory not go to waste?
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:28 PM

All replies

• I'm thinking of building a WHS, but the machine I am planning on putting it on has 6GB of RAM.  Is there any way to take advantage of the 2 extra GB?

No.

The immediate thought I had was a ramdisk for a pagefile, but none of the ramdisk programs I'm aware of mention supporting WHS.  Would this have to be put on a 64bit virtual machine to have the extra memory not go to waste?
    WHS is 32-bit only.  You will never see anything above 4 GB on your OS installation.  (Frankly, you won't see any improvement with more than 2 GB of RAM anyway, unless you are doing all kinds of unsupported tasks on your server.)
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 2:30 PM
  • No.  WHS is 32-bit only.  You will never see anything above 4 GB on your OS installation.
    Right, which is why I was asking about solutions such using ramdisk or installing WHS on a 64bit virtual machine.  There are programs such as Speedisk that use the extra unaddressable RAM as a ramdisk, or loading it onto a 64bit host could prevent the ram from going to "waste", by allowing other client OSs to use it.  I know these aren't necessarily "supported" solutions, but I'm looking to see if there are any other with any experience with these setups.
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:55 PM