Re-format my computer RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Just got my winxp validated genuine 1 week ago. all updates properly runs.

but now due to some program (3rd party) error, i need to format my computer hard drive. so, after I re-install, I need to get it validate for genuine, right? .. since my copy is already validated genuine. i was wondering what will be the validation process  again?? will Mirosoft allow me to validate again and again if next time i re-format my computer again?

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 8:30 AM

Answers

• Wfhan,

Genuine copies of XP can be installed and activated as many times as you want to, within these rules:

1.  OEM copies of XP can only be installed and reinstalled as many times as you want on the computer onto which they were first installed--they cannot be moved to another computer.

2.  Full retail copies of XP can be installed and reinstalled on as many different computers as you want, as long as they are activated on only one computer at a time.

3.  Upgrade retail copies of XP are subject to the same limitations as were in effect on the previous installation of Windows that they upgraded.

If you install and activate a copy of XP numerous times, at some point your activation method will be changed from online/electronic to telephone activation, so that a MS activation rep can verify that you are still complying with the End User Licensing Agreement.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 5:11 PM