Vista/Office Activation under VirtualBox? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've installed VirtualBox on a dual boot laptop, Vista & CentOS. Recently I installed VirtualBox in CentOS and configured it to boot the native/physical installation of Vista.

Finally I solved the activation issue with vista in two steps;  (1) by entering the product key printed on the label affixed to my computer (2) by contacting the automated phone system. A similar case had been discussed in another thread "Windows 7 reports non-genuine version under VirtualBox". 

However, I cannot activate Home Office on a permanent basis. As long as I use Office only in one environment, either native or virtual machine, everything is ok.

However when I switch from virtual to native and vice versa the Office Word application requires reactivation; which is easy via internet activation.

I suspect that even If I buy Office with two licenses, I will not solve my problem.

Is there a work around for this issue?

Thanks,

drikosv

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 10:54 AM

Answers

• I've merged the two thread together to reduce the confusion level - perhaps you'd like to review it again now?

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

• Marked as answer by drikosv Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:54 PM
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:36 PM

All replies

• The Vista license doesn't actually allow virtualisation of the OEM license if I remember rightly, so you're in technical breach anyhow.

I would suggest asking this question in the Office Community forums - they'll need to know the version of Office (2007/2010/2013) involved.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_install

Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

I've posted a question in another thread but I cannot edit it anymore. (Vista/Office Activation under VirtualBox?)

I've Vista OEM license on a dual boot laptop, Vista & CentOS. A few days ago I installed VirtualBox in CentOS.

Now I want to properly configure a Virtual Machine to boot the native/physical installation of Windows.

What type of license do I need so that the above mentioned configuration fully complies with Microsoft's license terms?

1) The Vista Home Premium OEM I have?

2) I have to Upgrade to Win 8 pro?

3) I have to buy full Retail version of Win 8 pro?

Regards,

drikosv

• Edited by drikosv Thursday, January 17, 2013 10:14 AM
    • Merged by Noel D PatonEditor Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:34 PM continuation thread
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:21 AM
  • If you wish to install a Microsoft Windows operating system in a Virtual Box, you will need a genuine "full version" edition of Microsoft Windows.  It cannot be a Microsoft Windows OEM license that came preinstalled on a computer.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by drikosv Friday, January 18, 2013 3:06 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 11:12 PM
  • Hi,

The Vista OEM EULA (EULAID:VistaSP1_R1.0_CONSUMER_OEM_en-US) covers virtualization issues with additional terms in Service Pack 1. There are distinct terms for Home, Premium, and Ultimate. With Vista Home and Premium one may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system. However, the Ultimate edition license terms are quite different.

Here is the (fourth) paragraph 4 of the Additional License Terms of Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1:

"4 Use with Virtualization Technologies.  You may use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed device.  If you do so, you may not play or access content or use applications protected by any Microsoft digital, information or enterprise rights management technology or other Microsoft rights management services or use BitLocker.  We advise against playing or accessing content or using applications protected by other digital, information or enterprise rights management technology or other rights management services or using full volume disk drive encryption."

To my understanding your claim was not accurate.

Regards,

drikosv

• Edited by drikosv Sunday, January 20, 2013 8:50 AM ,
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 3:16 PM
  • I stand corrected - thanks for the data (I did try and find it on the MS site, but they've removed access to the standard SLT's for systems that are no longer in release)

Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:28 PM
  • I've merged the two thread together to reduce the confusion level - perhaps you'd like to review it again now?

• Marked as answer by drikosv Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:54 PM
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:36 PM
  • Hi,

With Vista Ultimate the internet activation is successfull in both native & virtual mode; however, one has to use the phone sysetm to activate it on a permanent basis.

regards,

drikosv

• Edited by drikosv Sunday, January 20, 2013 12:03 PM ,
    Sunday, January 20, 2013 11:49 AM
  • Thank god the Dr. K is on the ball and refuses to accept dismissive answers lightly.
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:06 PM