Include Synced Files in listview during preview... RRS feed

• Question

• During my sync preview of all the new, deleted, updated, and renamed files, is there a way to include the files that are already in sync? I would like to added them to my listview with a already synced type...

Thanks for your help!

Jay

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 9:48 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 7:54 PM

Answers

• The file sync provider can help you for preview purpose such as from OnApplyingChange, OnChangeApplied callbacks,

but it's not going to tell you whether files are identical on 2 sides.

The change enumeration on the sending side will decide whether a file should be send to the receiving side. However, if a file doesn't need to be sent over, the reason may not be that the files on 2 sides are identical. It could be receiving side file has the most latest version or the receiving side wins a conflict, in both cases, the files are different but are not shown in any callbacks.

Monday, August 11, 2008 9:26 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I assume you are refering to SyncToy.

The Sync Preview feature tells you what would happen in the real sync operation, where changes on the send side will be synced over to the receive side according to the sync configuration.

So the preview will only show changes that will be synced but not things that are not included in the sync for any reason. (for example, already in sync)

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:24 AM
    Answerer
  • Actually I'm building my own sync program. I'm not refering to SyncToy. I realize what preview gives you. Again, is it possible to show all files in the two directorys, both identical or different?  I would think this would be a standard feature, after all DetectedChangesEventArgs gives me TotalDirectorysFound, TotalFilesFound, and TotalFileSize, which is based on all files in the destinationProvider and sourceProvider directorys. Am I missing something?

Saturday, August 9, 2008 4:20 AM
  • The file sync provider can help you for preview purpose such as from OnApplyingChange, OnChangeApplied callbacks,

but it's not going to tell you whether files are identical on 2 sides.

The change enumeration on the sending side will decide whether a file should be send to the receiving side. However, if a file doesn't need to be sent over, the reason may not be that the files on 2 sides are identical. It could be receiving side file has the most latest version or the receiving side wins a conflict, in both cases, the files are different but are not shown in any callbacks.

Monday, August 11, 2008 9:26 PM
    Answerer