Vista/ XP RRS feed

• Question

•  

Evening all

Recently I have downloaded a bad virus, nearly making my computer useless. I tried reinstalling XP hopeing it would reset my system, but I could not do that. It wouldnt let me hit the button to install.  Then I remembered I had a Vista disc a friend had given me so I installed that on to my computer. Right now my computer is running fine, but it is on the 30 day trial period because the key I had is "In use". I wanted to reinstall XP that way my computer would work past 30 days and because it is an older version then vista it wont install. What I am interested in knowing is, is there a way that I can reinstall XP, or get a new key to where my computer will last more then 30 days?

Thanks for any and all help,

Spark

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:23 AM

Answers

• Hi Sparkamous,

If the Vista Product Key (included with the Vista stoftware, that your friend gave you) is not currently being used in your friend's computer, you should be able use that key and activate by using the Activation by Phone method.

If you still have a Valid Product Key for XP, you can contact Microsoft Support at (800) 936-5800 and they can help you re-install your XP.  (Help with Install problems are supported at No Cost).

Otherwise, you will need to buy a new copy of XP (or Vista).

Hope that helped,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Sparkamous,

If the Vista Product Key (included with the Vista stoftware, that your friend gave you) is not currently being used in your friend's computer, you should be able use that key and activate by using the Activation by Phone method.

If you still have a Valid Product Key for XP, you can contact Microsoft Support at (800) 936-5800 and they can help you re-install your XP.  (Help with Install problems are supported at No Cost).

Hope that helped,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:31 PM
  •  Darin Smith MS wrote:

Hi Sparkamous,

Hope that helped,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Sunday, July 6, 2008 1:12 PM
  • THIS IS A N# 716-871-2929 I CALL AND AND JUST GIVE INFO: THAT COME OFF OF COMPUTER THAT ASKED FOR AND THEN IT GIVES YOU A ANOTHER CODE AND SHOULD BE GOOD TO GO...  I SURE DO HOPES IT WORKS FOR YOU ANDHAVE A SUPER DAY. 

Monday, July 7, 2008 6:39 PM