Managed and Unmanaged Solutions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

If I  install a unmanaged solution named X that has a dependency on another unmanaged solution named Y. What is the outcome when I attempt to uninstall Y?

and one more question related to unManaged solution:  If i want to delete a custom entity from an unManaged solution, i should remove any dependency with other objects right? 

BR,

Greta

• Edited by GretaKhalil Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:58 PM
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Greta,

You can think of unmanaged solutions as passive containers. Deleting an unmanaged solution does not impact the system, it simply deletes the container that was used to import things into the system. All the system components that were in the unmanaged solution stay in the system, unchanged.

While you can delete an unmanaged solution, the concept of "uninstall" only exists for Managed Solutions.

Deleting a Managed Solution actually removes the system components that it contains, including any data stored in any entities.

So in your first question, the outcome would be that the Y solution (container) is gone from the system but nothing else changes. If one of the solutions were managed, it could be a different story.

And for your second question, yes, dependencies are enforced whether the solution is managed or unmanaged. To delete an entity will require first deleting its dependencies

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 2:16 PM
  • Hello Aron,

So for my first question, the container of Y Solution will be removed while all its components will remain.

Understood for the second question :)

BR,

Greta

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Correct, the Y solution container will be gone while its components will remain.
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:09 PM
  • I have doubt that an unmanaged solution can be uninstalled because i just read in the material the following 

• Unmanaged solution cannot be “uninstalled”
      • Writes changes into the default solution
      • Container can be removed, but changes remain in the system

So in this case he will prevent me from uninstalling the unmanaged solution right?

if i have this multiple answers?

You install a unmanaged solution named SolutionA that has a dependency on another

unmanaged solution named SolutionB . What is the outcome when you attempt to uninstall

SolutionB?

A. SolutionB and all components that are not dependencies of SolutionA are removed.

B. The system prevents you from deleting SolutionB .

C. SolutionB and all related components are removed.

D. The container for SolutionB is removed, but all its components remain.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 7:21 PM
  • I would say D
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 7:25 PM
  • good soluliton
    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 7:32 PM
  • One last question, uninstall means delete button in the Dynamics 365 ?
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:20 AM
  • Correct.
    Thursday, July 20, 2017 11:49 AM