CRM 4.0 In Test Environment Writes Data to Production Environment RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

I have a production environment where two CRM 4.0 application servers in a load-balancing setup link to a separate database server. I made a backup of both databases and put them on a development database server, then went through the process of installing a new application server for development purposes. During the installation, I told it to use the existing organization found on the development database server. After installing CRM 4.0 on the development application server and rebooting, I went in to the DeploymentProperties table and changed the necessary fields to reflect the location of the dev app. I also went into the registry on the dev app server and changed all the necessary keys to reflect the location of the dev db. I rebooted both servers. The dev app is linking to the production database. What steps am I missing?

Thank you.

Monday, January 26, 2009 10:17 PM

Answers

• Hi

Think there is a better and less complicated way of restoring your two database on your development system.  If you back up the two production databases and then restore them on your development SQL server.  Next install a new instance of CRM on your development application server.  Be careful not to use the same name for your organization as your two production CRM instances.  Once that has been done then use the Deployment manager on your development server to Import the Organization.

Actually, just found a more detailed article which should hopefully be useful:

http://blogs.inetium.com/blogs/tedh/archive/2008/03/05/improved-process-for-redploying-microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-0.aspx

Hope that helps,

Douglas

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hi

Think there is a better and less complicated way of restoring your two database on your development system.  If you back up the two production databases and then restore them on your development SQL server.  Next install a new instance of CRM on your development application server.  Be careful not to use the same name for your organization as your two production CRM instances.  Once that has been done then use the Deployment manager on your development server to Import the Organization.

Actually, just found a more detailed article which should hopefully be useful:

http://blogs.inetium.com/blogs/tedh/archive/2008/03/05/improved-process-for-redploying-microsoft-dynamics-crm-4-0.aspx

Hope that helps,

Douglas

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:59 PM
  • Douglas,

Yes, that was much better and less complicated. Thank you for your assistance.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 8:51 PM
  • No problem.  Glad my solution was good for you.

Cheers,

Douglas

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:49 PM