CRM 4 to CRM 2011 Same Server Upgrade : Database size trebled for no reason !!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had upgraded CRM 4 to CRM 2011 on our server retaining same environment and sql server. After a week the database file MDF size doubled its size and now after 2 weeks its more than triple the size. I have no idea what is going not right here and I also checked row counts of major entity tables and asyncoperationbase tables. But not able to decipher this strange and dangerous issue.

Any ideas ?

Friday, September 7, 2012 4:13 PM

All replies

• If you're sure the problem is with the database file (MDF) rather than the log file (LDF) you could try running this script to find the largest tables - it might give a better hint as to where the increase is coming from. 

Jason Lattimer

Friday, September 7, 2012 4:54 PM
  • I seem to have found some answer in the Sonoma's book 

http://www.sonomapartners.com/Documents/CRM/MicrosoftDynamicsCRM2011-ImplementationGuide-Installing.pdf

Page 16 says

"Important
    We recommend that for each organization that you upgrade, the volume have free space that
    is at least three times the size of the organization database file and four times the size of the
    log file. Therefore, if a single organization database and log file are located on the same
    volume and are one gigabyte in total, you should have at least seven gigabytes of available
    disk space before you perform the upgrade."

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:10 PM