Not Genuine RRS feed

• Question

• I Purchased Windws 7 Ultimate from MS online store, I recieved a product key via Email, the disc arrived USPS later. sense then I upgraded my HD and did a clean install of the OS. I cannot locate the Email with the Key.

How do I recover from MS?

Friday, January 7, 2011 1:02 AM

Answers

• Hello Distraught User,

Log onto you account at the Microsoft Store.  Click the Account link at the upper right of the page.  You will be shown all of your purchases and their product keys.

Friday, January 7, 2011 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hello Distraught User,

Log onto you account at the Microsoft Store.  Click the Account link at the upper right of the page.  You will be shown all of your purchases and their product keys.

Friday, January 7, 2011 6:33 AM
  • I did and nothing shows up, Like I purchased nothing. I bought the software when it was released a couple years ago, I still have the disc and the packaging but the software key was emailed.

Thanks

Friday, January 7, 2011 11:19 PM
  • Hello Distraught User,

Contact the Microsoft Store's customer service.

You may have made the purchase far enough back so that it was from the precursor to the Microsoft Store which was called the Windows Marketplace.  See http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/?WT.mc_id=0806_083  See the third FAQ.

Friday, January 7, 2011 11:25 PM
  • Hello Distraught User,

Contact the Microsoft Store's customer service.

You may have made the purchase far enough back so that it was from the precursor to the Microsoft Store which was called the Windows Marketplace.  See http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/?WT.mc_id=0806_083  See the third FAQ.

Yes, it was from the Marketplace, I bought the Windows 7 Ultimate and was emailed a Windows Security Key. The link you posted above does very little to help me. There is nothing in there about retrieving or requesting another key to fix the software I purchased from you. There is not a Digital Locker FAQ that I can locate. Please provide a direct link to what I need to do to get my purchased software up and working again. Or provide me with some substantial information rather than all this running around.

Thank You in advance.

Saturday, January 8, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Hello Distraught User,

This MS KB article explains the Microsoft method for requesting a replacement product key:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811224

Saturday, January 8, 2011 3:56 AM
  • "Dan at IT Associates" wrote in message news:82579bdc-bdb1-4f47-a15b-dea9c037953b...

Hello Distraught User,

This MS KB article explains the Microsoft method for requesting a replacement product key:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811224

I'm a little confused here - Windows Marketplace closed down (finally) in August 2009 - but Windows 7 was only released to the public in October 2009 (although it went RTM in July).
    I don't see how it's possible that you could even have pre-ordered Win 7 before the MarketPlace closed?

If you can put your old disk back in, and boot the system, you could recover the key using Belarc Adviser.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 8:16 AM
  • I purchased the Key from MS store, I was running the BETA and when it went live or shortly after I bought the Software, I was E-mailed a Key so I could immediatley register it.

A few days or a week or so I recieved the CD's in a case from Microsoft. Sense then I bought a new HDD and did a clean install, I did not keep a record of the original Email or, I still have the DVD's and the Case I just need the keys.

I don't remember the dates exactly I do know that I purchased the software with my credit card and with a little effort I can and I will provide MS with the entire bank transaction and the serial #'s on the 2 DVD's I have and the case in my posession.

Now that we have that all in the clear please explain how to use this belarc Advisor method in more detail, TYVM.

Sunday, January 9, 2011 6:17 AM
  • "Distraught User" wrote in message news:89b47e20-4e31-4028-bac8-e2ec74ef8b9c...

I purchased the Key from MS store, I was running the BETA and when it went live or shortly after I bought the Software, I was E-mailed a Key so I could immediatley register it.

A few days or a week or so I recieved the CD's in a case from Microsoft. Sense then I bought a new HDD and did a clean install, I did not keep a record of the original Email or, I still have the DVD's and the Case I just need the keys.

I don't remember the dates exactly I do know that I purchased the software with my credit card and with a little effort I can and I will provide MS with the entire bank transaction and the serial #'s on the 2 DVD's I have and the case in my posession.

Now that we have that all in the clear please explain how to use this belarc Advisor method in more detail, TYVM.

Sorry if you thought I was being awkward - I was just a little confused .
    If you can get  your original disk hooked up and boot to Win 7, download and install Belarc Advisor (www.belarc.com) - it's free - run it, and it will tell you all your License Keys for Windows and Office, and a number of other programs as well (Nero and Sonic come to mind)
    .If you can't get Win 7 to run, but it's still installed on the disk, then it may still be possible to recover the Key using other programs if you hook up the drive as a slave to another installation -
    are two that I know generally work pretty well.
    If you've formatted the disk, then you're probably SOL, but if you haven't actually re-written anything to the drive, then it may be possible to unformat it and recover the old installation (depending on how you formatted/wiped the drive) and then run one of the above.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 8:41 AM