Which Hard Disk? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I know which physical hard disk corresponds to the disk displayed within the WHS console? I have recently setup my system with 3 identical hard disks and if one should ever present a problem how can I be sure I am removing the correct disk. Logic would tell me that the disks are listed chronologically depending into which SATA port they are plugged into, i.e. 0, 1, 2 but I think this should be made more obvious to end users, maybe the option to name the disk would help distinguish between disks when new disks are added.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:11 AM

Answers

• Aziona, there's no add-in to do what you're looking for, but I believe all the information needed to tie a disk in the WHS Console to the corresponding disk in Disk Management (and thus to the physical hardware) is in the registry. See my post near the end of this thread for details.

The problem is that, as Microsoft has not provided any interface with this information in the SDK, you have to go directly to the registry to do this, which is likely to be unsupported. Though I can't imagine that Microsoft will change the linkages in furutre versions, as WHS needs to do this too.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 5:26 PM

All replies

•  Richard H wrote:
    How do I know which physical hard disk corresponds to the disk displayed within the WHS console? I have recently setup my system with 3 identical hard disks and if one should ever present a problem how can I be sure I am removing the correct disk. Logic would tell me that the disks are listed chronologically depending into which SATA port they are plugged into, i.e. 0, 1, 2 but I think this should be made more obvious to end users, maybe the option to name the disk would help distinguish between disks when new disks are added.

Suggested a dozen times...

Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:16 AM
  • Appologies my mistake....
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:18 AM
  •  Richard H wrote:
    Appologies my mistake....

It's not a bad suggestion, just one of many...

Search is your friend. Wink

Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:25 AM
  •  

I have 9 harddisks in my Home server, most of them Seagate that appear as ST500630 in the console. One of them got corrupted. It took me 5 times taking cables of and restarting the server to check whether the Unhealthy Disk was now reported as Missing. Need to say that WHS takes a lot of time to start up if one of the disks in Unhealthy. 

It is very annoying that MS did not think of this in the development stage. Is there a add in available that combines that disks in the console with e.g. the serial number of the disk?

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:40 AM
  • Aziona, there's no add-in to do what you're looking for, but I believe all the information needed to tie a disk in the WHS Console to the corresponding disk in Disk Management (and thus to the physical hardware) is in the registry. See my post near the end of this thread for details.

The problem is that, as Microsoft has not provided any interface with this information in the SDK, you have to go directly to the registry to do this, which is likely to be unsupported. Though I can't imagine that Microsoft will change the linkages in furutre versions, as WHS needs to do this too.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 5:26 PM