RDP Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I can only use remote desktop connection if I use the administrator account.  The 2 user accounts I've set up cannot log in.  All PC's are in the same workgroup.

Also, 1 user can log in via the web interface fine, but the other user is denied permission.  Both users can log in using the WHS Console.

Any ideas how to fix this?
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 11:54 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I built a WHS system this weekend, and have a simailr problem...

From the XP-MCE based PCs, I can remote desktop onto the WHS as the Administrator with no difficutlties what so ever.

However, when I try and log on as the user, I get as far as inputing the password before I have a long winded error message which basically that as a Remote user, I need the right to terminal services which by default are added when remote user is checked within the user accounts.

But I cannot remote access onto the WHS.

HOWEVER, if I log on to my ________.homeserver.com page, and log in there as the user, and then select remote access onto either the WHS system or another PC,  I am able to remotly login onto my PCs.

This evneing I will attempt to print screen the error message if Ican and paste it here for you to see.

Any fixes would be most appreciated.

Adrian

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:16 PM
  • 1. login to desktop of WHS directly or through RDP

2. Start, run, type compmgmt.msc /s, hit enter

3. Go to local users and groups, groups and add the users you want to give RDP access to the Remote desktop users group.

4. Try again

Possibly the user will also need administrator rights, if so then also add them to the administrators group. Make sure you use a strong password for these users.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:36 PM
  •  

I shall try this slution this evneing,

Cheers Brubber

Adrian

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:40 PM
  • Adrian, WHS is functioning as expected.

When accessing your server, only the Administrator should be able to use Remote Desktop. Other users are not granted that right; this is for security (any user with Remote Desktop access can potentially damage the server severely). In normal use, even the administrator shouldn't need to use Remote Desktop; any administration functions that might be required regularly can be achieved through the Windows Home Server Console application.

The Remote Access web site is designed to allow you to access your client PCs from anywhere, anytime (as long as the client PC is turned on, and is running an operating system that can accept incoming remote desktop connections). It also gives you remote access to the WHS console.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:11 PM
  • IMHO using the default "Administrator" without any option to change the name is by itself bad policy. I can't  see any reason why you shouldn't allow a second user RDP access.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:28 PM
  • Well, putting a user in the group that has RDP access removes their ability to log in via the remote access web site. And granting the right directly to the user creates a maintenance headache. Administrator/[strong password] is as safe as anything, as long as you don't share the password or practice unsafe computing.

The only way to be completely secure on the Internet today is to not connect your PC to a network...
    Tuesday, November 13, 2007 6:34 PM