Computer won't boot after power failure RRS feed

• Question

• After a local Power Failure a normal "power on button" attempt to start up the computer yields a message ...

"windows could not start because the follweing file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll Please re-install a copy of the above".

I then attempted to boot from the orginal Windows XP CD and got the following
    *** stop: 0x0000007B (0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I then tried to boot from the one care CD  and got the following
    *** stop: 0x0000007B (0x0xf78D663C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Computer is HP media center m7680n, lots of RAM and three large hard drives

Friday, August 29, 2008 11:32 AM

Answers

• You probably have a hardware failure with some component in the system. Note that the OneCare CD is not bootable.

You need to contact HP for help with this.

The Stop error you are getting, means that the boot device is inaccessible. This KB article explains other causes, but since your problem began with a power failure, I am leaning towards the diagnosis of failed hardware.

Alternatively, you can get a local tech to look at the PC for you to determine what component has failed.

-steve
    Friday, August 29, 2008 1:20 PM

All replies

• You probably have a hardware failure with some component in the system. Note that the OneCare CD is not bootable.

You need to contact HP for help with this.

The Stop error you are getting, means that the boot device is inaccessible. This KB article explains other causes, but since your problem began with a power failure, I am leaning towards the diagnosis of failed hardware.

Alternatively, you can get a local tech to look at the PC for you to determine what component has failed.

-steve
    Friday, August 29, 2008 1:20 PM
  • I meant to add that I'm sorry to read of the problem you encountered *and* to keep this on topic, when you resolve the problem, if you need to reinstall Windows, you can restore your OneCare backup of data by reinstalling OneCare, activating and then using the OneCare restore function to restore from "another computer" since a reinstalled OS looks like a new PC to OneCare when it is also a new install on the reinstalled OS.

-steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 1:23 PM