dual boot vista plus winxp - legacy os activation issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I  have briefly searched the forum on a few of these keywords.

I have a new HP Pav dv6000 pre-installed Vista Home Premium.  Due to various "glitches", I decided to set up a dual boot of Windows XP Professional as per lifehacker and the pronetworks posts.

I  assumed that my Vista Home Premium Product key would be "backwards compatible" for an install of another "Genuine" & "Legal" Windows OS. To my confusion this afternoon I entered the HP Laptop's Genuine Windows Product Key to be told it was not valid for activating my windows xp professional sp2 reinstall disk, which I have successfully used to install xp pro onto a newly resized partition.

Obviously I am not interested in forking out 150 euro for a "legacy" OS [Windows Genuine Advantage Kit].

I'd really appreciate it if any of you have any advice on this one. Should Newer Product keys be valid for a one-person licence to the older OS in that family? Particularly during the roadtesting period.

I am only posting this because the "New Product Key" department (1850 940 940) is a 9-5 mon - fri operation, and it's Sunday evening. The activation phoneline 1800 930031 was very helpful, but after a certain point there is nothing more they can do, apart from recommend going back to your reseller.

Thanks very much,

Andy

Sunday, August 19, 2007 6:49 PM

Answers

• The HP OEM Windows Vista product key is only valid with HP's preinstalled version of Windows Vista.  It cannot be used to activate an installation of Windows XP.  If you wish to install Windows XP, then you'll need to purchase a "full version" license for Windows XP.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:14 PM
  •  

tbklt:

As Carey mentions, the Vista product key with your PC is only useable for Vista - not WinXP.

HP may have some "downgrade" program in place where you can "return" your Vista product key and get an XP product key, but I'm not sure.

I would check with your PC manufacturer.

-phil

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:35 PM

All replies

• When you bought your computer, you only bought a licsense that is allowed to run one computer/one operating system.  If the product key were backwards compatible, then I would be a happy guy buying Halo 2 for Vista then using that product key to get Halo Combat Evolves for free.
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:39 PM
  • The HP OEM Windows Vista product key is only valid with HP's preinstalled version of Windows Vista.  It cannot be used to activate an installation of Windows XP.  If you wish to install Windows XP, then you'll need to purchase a "full version" license for Windows XP.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:14 PM
  •  

Sounds like an official response. Thanks for being so quick Carey. It's just that I don't think it is acceptable.

If Vista were working cleanly and consistently, and this were just a nostalgia thing, I would still expect it to be free. Fact is, though, I am experiencing regular NETIO.SYS BLUESCREEN crashes, and want to revert back to a stable OS until Vista is fully Roadtested. I am also not interested in being part of the consumer base doing the roadtesting.

Is there no way of getting a legal product key for my *legacy* OS, without handing over more money?

I feel as though I already paid for this when I bought the Laptop.

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Most blue screen issues are the result of bad or corrupt hardware drivers or even bad hardware itself.  If I were you, I'd contact HP support and ask for assistance in troubleshooting your issues.  As for obtaining a product key for Windows XP, the only way to get one is to purchase a "full version" from a retailer, such as Newegg.com. 

HP Technical Support Chat Option: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/chat_1.html

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:25 PM
  •  

tbklt:

As Carey mentions, the Vista product key with your PC is only useable for Vista - not WinXP.

HP may have some "downgrade" program in place where you can "return" your Vista product key and get an XP product key, but I'm not sure.

I would check with your PC manufacturer.

-phil

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:35 PM