License Transfer from one computer to another RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new laptop and planning to sell the old one.  My new laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit whereas the old one has Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit.  Can I transfer my Ultimate license to the new laptop? Please help.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:24 AM

Answers

• "mskprathap" wrote in message news:8c6f3b04-a4ef-4d53-8814-0623543056b4...
    I bought a new laptop and planning to sell the old one.  My new laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit whereas the old one has Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit.  Can I transfer my Ultimate license to the new laptop? Please help.

Was the old one supplied with the Ultimate, or did you upgrade to it after purchase? If the former, then no you cannot move it.
    If the latter, then you may be able to move it if it was either a Retail Full version, or a Retail Upgrade version. Any other type of license remains locked to the motherboard on the old PC (but it may make the old PC more saleable).

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:53 PM
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:39 AM

All replies

• "mskprathap" wrote in message news:8c6f3b04-a4ef-4d53-8814-0623543056b4...
    I bought a new laptop and planning to sell the old one.  My new laptop has Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit whereas the old one has Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit.  Can I transfer my Ultimate license to the new laptop? Please help.

Was the old one supplied with the Ultimate, or did you upgrade to it after purchase? If the former, then no you cannot move it.
    If the latter, then you may be able to move it if it was either a Retail Full version, or a Retail Upgrade version. Any other type of license remains locked to the motherboard on the old PC (but it may make the old PC more saleable).

--

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:53 PM
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Thanks for the quick reply. The old one came with Vista and I got a complimentary copy of Windows 7 from my friend.  It was a "Not for Resale" copy. I have the original installation disc with me.
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:43 AM
  • "mskprathap" wrote in message news:12933b41-451c-4438-8ddc-4e5a05940c23...
    Thanks for the quick reply. The old one came with Vista and I got a complimentary copy of Windows 7 from my friend.  It was a "Not for Resale" copy. I have the original installation disc with me.
    In that case you should be fine.
    Make sure that you have the Product Keys you need off the old computer (use Belarc Advisor - www.belarc.com)
    Back up your data to an external drive (or the new computer)
    Use your Recovery disks for the old computer to reformat and reinstall Vista ( wouldn't bother about updating it - if the new owner has any sense, they'll reformat/reinstall it again as soon as they get it).
    Make sure that you have the Recovery disks for the new computer created and stored properly.
    Then try using the Anytime Upgrade process on the new computer using the Key from your Ultimate package  - this will preserve everything as it now is, rather than running the inevitable risks of a over-the-top  install, or the hassle of a clean install.  If it's either a Full Retail or Retail Upgrade, then it should work without problems.

--

Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:59 AM
  • You can Transfer the license from 1Pc to another if the mode of License is FPP or Volume license.

U are not able to transfer the license if this is a OEM which came pre-installed with your PC.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:15 AM
  • You are replying to an old thread already marked as answered.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:35 PM
    Answerer