Guest account and access RRS feed

• Question

• My son is having a LAN party this eve (looking for a quick answer) and I wanted to open up files to be available to people who are not setup to normally access my WHS.  The first attempt to access the server of course prompted for a user/pass (administrator).  I found the guest account and enabled read only on the specified folders such as "Video".  I did this and they are able to open the folder itself but the files and the folders within are denying access?  This makes no sense to me as WHS console makes no mention of permisions being seperate for files/folders within.  Any idea why it is doing this?
    Friday, February 20, 2009 2:24 AM

Answers

• I hate to reply to myself but I just figured it out.  I had a light bulb turn on (usually pretty dim) and had an idea to try something.  I have the server drives mapped and wondered if I had added content via the mapped drives instead of the home server shortcut to the shares.  It had been so long I could not remember.  I removed some of the video files and added them back in via the WHS shared folders link and voila it worked!!!  It was my fault all along and want to both apologize and thank all who helped.

It's times like this my screen name makes the most sense :P
    • Marked as answer by Stu Pidaso Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:35 AM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:34 AM

All replies

• Stu Pidaso said:

My son is having a LAN party this eve (looking for a quick answer) and I wanted to open up files to be available to people who are not setup to normally access my WHS.  The first attempt to access the server of course prompted for a user/pass (administrator).  I found the guest account and enabled read only on the specified folders such as "Video".  I did this and they are able to open the folder itself but the files and the folders within are denying access?  This makes no sense to me as WHS console makes no mention of permisions being seperate for files/folders within.  Any idea why it is doing this?

It could be that their system is trying to change something on the file, but can't because they don't have sufficient permissions.  Are they able to copy the files to their own computers?
    Friday, February 20, 2009 4:34 AM
  • No, see, that is just it.  They are able to open the initial folder like "video" but say I have a sub folder such as "funny commercials" and if they try to open it is when they get denied permission.  This is why I am stumped.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 4:59 AM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

No, see, that is just it.  They are able to open the initial folder like "video" but say I have a sub folder such as "funny commercials" and if they try to open it is when they get denied permission.  This is why I am stumped.

It sounds like your permissions are not set up correctly.  Have you ever changed permissions through any means besides the Console?  If you right click on the commericals folder, click Properties, then the Security tab, what does it say?
    Friday, February 20, 2009 5:06 AM
  • I have only used the WHS console to change settings such as this.  I am not sure what specifics you are asking about what I see under security.  I do not see guest if that is what you are asking.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 5:26 AM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

I have only used the WHS console to change settings such as this.  I am not sure what specifics you are asking about what I see under security.  I do not see guest if that is what you are asking.

Can you please list everything it says under the Security tab?
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 6:30 AM
  • kariya21 said:

Stu Pidaso said:

I have only used the WHS console to change settings such as this.  I am not sure what specifics you are asking about what I see under security.  I do not see guest if that is what you are asking.

Can you please list everything it says under the Security tab?

Take a look...

http://all4us5.net/e107_images/misc/comm-sec.jpg
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 4:46 PM
  • Hi,
    that screenshot shows not the default settings for a Windows Home Server share security tab. Especially all the security entries for the Windows Home Server local groups are not listed.
    How did you copy this folder to the location? Via \\server\share or locally using d:\shares on the server? The later method is a big no and can cause several issues.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 8:58 PM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

Take a look...

That's what happens when you create a share outside of the Console (meaning directly on the D drive after logging into the server desktop).  Do you see that share listed in the Shared Folders tab in the Console?
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 9:41 PM
  • kariya21 said:

Stu Pidaso said:

Take a look...

That's what happens when you create a share outside of the Console (meaning directly on the D drive after logging into the server desktop).  Do you see that share listed in the Shared Folders tab in the Console?

I never ever created a share without using the console.  Keep in mind this folder is in the Video folder which is a share created by WHS itself when you install WHS.  They are able to open the Video folder and see the Commercials folder within it but get access denied when they go to open it.  If I understand you correctly I have to create shares for all sub folders in order for this to work?  That sounds ridiculous.  I would think if a folder is set to share from the console then all files/folders would be available.  I know it works this way for members of the home network but odd that in order to give guest access it is something different.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

I never ever created a share without using the console.  Keep in mind this folder is in the Video folder which is a share created by WHS itself when you install WHS.

Oh ok, I thought it was a top-level share (not a subfolder).  Never-the-less, the permissions are still incorrect.

Stu Pidaso said:

They are able to open the Video folder and see the Commercials folder within it but get access denied when they go to open it.

Can they play videos directly from the Videos share (but not in any subfolder)?  What are the security permissions on the Videos share?

Stu Pidaso said:

If I understand you correctly I have to create shares for all sub folders in order for this to work?

No.  Like I said, I thought it was a share, not a subfolder.

Stu Pidaso said:

That sounds ridiculous.  I would think if a folder is set to share from the console then all files/folders would be available.  I know it works this way for members of the home network but odd that in order to give guest access it is something different.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:07 PM
  • They are also denied access to viewing videos that are directly in the "Video" folder.  Before I had enabled Guest account they could not even access the "Video" folder.  So since guest account was enabled (with no password) something correct was changed as the folder can now be opened.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

They are also denied access to viewing videos that are directly in the "Video" folder.  Before I had enabled Guest account they could not even access the "Video" folder.  So since guest account was enabled (with no password) something correct was changed as the folder can now be opened.

Can you list the security permissions for the Videos share (and one other share, for example, Music)?  It sounds like all of your permissions are wrong.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:42 AM
  • Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:19 AM
  • kariya21 said:

Unfortunately, those links aren't working.

Rather odd, they work for me.  Hmmm.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:34 AM
  • On one of these folders that's not working, can you:
    • Remove all permissions granted through the WHS Console,
    • Reapply all permissions through the Console, and
    • Give it another try?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Ken.  I have tried that with the Guest account through the Console and still got the same results.  Is this what you are asking?
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:19 PM
  • No, I'm saying to try removing everybody's permissions. A restart of the server after removing, and before recreating, those permissions would not be a bad plan.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:37 PM
  • Thanks, I will give that a try.  There are no non home networked PCs in the house at this point but the next time someone comes over I will try this.  Hopefully that will be within a few days.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:40 PM
  • You don't need a non-networked PC. For some share:
    • Remove all granted access
    • Restart the server
    • Grant access again

Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:46 PM
  • I mean to test the Guest account.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

I mean to test the Guest account.

You don't need another PC.  Just create a new user (that doesn't exist on your server) on one of your PCs then try that user to access your server.  Also, your pics don't show the details of your security tab.  Can you list the details of one of your shares (i.e. Videos), including each user/group and the permissions allowed/denied for each one?
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:37 AM
  • I think I am having the same problem with my WHS.  I have never changed permissions outside of Windows Home Server.  I have 3 profiles in total.  2 of them have only read access while the remaining one has full read write permissions.  The master account can read every folder.  The 2 secondary accounts can read the main folder but can't read some of the subfolders.  Not all of them but some of them.  
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Just out of curiosity:
    Are the shares, in which the folders with trouble are located, shares with duplication enabled?
    Did you create the affected folders from a client PC via the share directly, or have the folders been created using a different program than Windows Explorer, or did you create the folders in d:\shares\... locally on the server?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:56 AM
  •   Sorry to take so long to get back on this topic.  I do appreciate the help.  For reasons too long to get into I recently had to reformat my laptop.  I know I could have vreated a new account on any PC but know why have a PC to work with that does not have anything extra on it.  This laptop is running Vista but having same issue XP machines were.  In network I can see the server and open it up and see the shares.  If I click on the Videos folder it will open up but deny me access from opening anything within it wether it be file or folder.

ALL SHARES have been created via the WHS console.  ALL PERMISSIONS have always been set by WHS console.
    Monday, March 9, 2009 11:36 PM
  • I hate to reply to myself but I just figured it out.  I had a light bulb turn on (usually pretty dim) and had an idea to try something.  I have the server drives mapped and wondered if I had added content via the mapped drives instead of the home server shortcut to the shares.  It had been so long I could not remember.  I removed some of the video files and added them back in via the WHS shared folders link and voila it worked!!!  It was my fault all along and want to both apologize and thank all who helped.

• Marked as answer by Stu Pidaso Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:35 AM
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:34 AM
  • Stu Pidaso said:

I hate to reply to myself but I just figured it out.  I had a light bulb turn on (usually pretty dim) and had an idea to try something.  I have the server drives mapped and wondered if I had added content via the mapped drives instead of the home server shortcut to the shares.  It had been so long I could not remember.  I removed some of the video files and added them back in via the WHS shared folders link and voila it worked!!!  It was my fault all along and want to both apologize and thank all who helped.

Can you please clarify?  Are you saying you copied files from a client (using a mapped drive to a share on the server), and those files don't play?  If so, that is definitely a problem (it should work either way since a mapped share is just a link).
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:57 AM
  • That was exactly it.  I know it does not make sense to me but then again I am not a networking guru, just know enough to do what I need. 
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 1:23 AM
  • There should be no difference in functionality between a mapped drive and direct UNC access to the shares, assuming you're using standard Windows Explorer to copy the files. (There are some programs that will show slight differences in that situation.) Could you please submit a bug report on Connect, and include server logs collected using the Windows Home Server toolkit?

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 1:45 AM
  • Let's hope he mapped \\server\folder rather than \\server\d$\shares or something awkward like that
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:25 AM
  • Actually I need to do one more test.  Hind sight is 20/20.  Hopefully I can explain this.  A few months ago I rebuilt my WHS with a new case/motherboard and so on.  The storage drives had all my data on it before.  Before readding all drives back in via the WHS console I copied over data from said drives via remote desktop connection.  Is that possible as to why I had this issue?

So looking back I may have not added files via my mapped drive.  I will do another test when I get home tonight.

For Evaders99, yes I do have the "drive mapped"  Is that a problem?  I use it to access some other folders on the server that are not part of the WHS sharing but I do not want to bother logging into remote desktop to access those files.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:31 PM
  • Access to the "administrative" shares (c$, d$) on Windows Home Server is unsupported, and (because it goes directly to the file system on the drive rather than going through Drive Extender) may result in file access issues of various sorts. So yes, mapping the administrative share is a problem.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:38 PM