none
HPC SP1 Kills DHCP? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

After installing SP1 (using windows update -- with all the other updates) on a clean machine with Windows Server 2008 HPC kills DHCP server. It just stops and looks like described here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895149

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Andrei
    Monday, September 7, 2009 3:05 PM

Answers

• The HPC pack includes DHCP as part of the install. I think the intention is that the head node should be used as a DHCP server for private and application networks only. When configuring network topology from within the HPC Cluster Manager console you are unable to configure a DHCP scope for the Enterprise network.
    My recommendation is, do not install DHCP first. When virtualising create an additional Hyper-v virtual network & associated adapter for the headnode VM before HPC Pack install. This will allow for a full installation & test environment including WDS and DHCP. Then configure to use Topology 1, Compute nodes isolated on a private network.
    Cheers
    Dan

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:13 PM

All replies

• Sorry, I didn't mention that DHCP role installed on a head HPC node.
    Monday, September 7, 2009 3:08 PM
  • Hi Andrei
    Do you get the same behavior if you install SP1 manually (i.e. via the downloadable installer)? Does the solution suggested in kb895149 resolve the issue?
    As a comparison I've installed several Windows HPC Server 2008 clusters over the past few months, most of which rely on DHCP on the head node, and have not seen that problem, but my build process does not rely on Windows Update for deployment of SP1.
    I'm working on a dev cluster at the moment, so if I get the chance I'll follow your process and see if I get the same result.
    Regards
    Dan
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Hi Dan,

Well, I've just noticed trying to install SP1 manually, that DHCP is broken before SP1 and right after HPC Pack installed. It looks like http://picasaweb.google.com/dotnetBY/UntitledAlbum#5379116443912867826 
    It works on "clean" Windows Server, and becomes broken when HPC Pack is installed.

I am a little bit confused as I've never came across this issue on "nornal" environment, not Hyper-V. BTW, one important note, that I am deploying HPC on Hyper-V (Windows Server 2008 R2 host OS).

Thanks,
    Andrei

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Hi Andrei
    Just to be clear have you configured the head node as a DHCP server before installing the HPC Pack, and then when the HPC pack is installed DHCP no longer works? 
    Dan
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Dan,

yes, you're right. It works before but stops after.

--Andrei
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:38 PM
  • The HPC pack includes DHCP as part of the install. I think the intention is that the head node should be used as a DHCP server for private and application networks only. When configuring network topology from within the HPC Cluster Manager console you are unable to configure a DHCP scope for the Enterprise network.
    My recommendation is, do not install DHCP first. When virtualising create an additional Hyper-v virtual network & associated adapter for the headnode VM before HPC Pack install. This will allow for a full installation & test environment including WDS and DHCP. Then configure to use Topology 1, Compute nodes isolated on a private network.
    Cheers
    Dan

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Dan,

I created an additional private network for topology 1, and it works. Thank you for the trick.
    But I am still wondering why topology 5 does not work for enterprise network in Hyper-V environment.

Thanks,
    Andrei
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:16 AM
  • Hi Andrei
    Topology 5 does work in a Hyper-V environment, but the HPC Pack install will not allow for DHCP / WDS when only one network adapter is available. I believe this is to avoid the HPC administrator introducing a rogue DHCP / build server onto the enterprise network, which seems a sensible restriction. You tend to find people get somewhat annoyed if their workstations attempt to automatically rebuild as cluster nodes :-) .
    If you want to use topology 5 that's fine, but you'll need to either manually add the DHCP role after installation of the HPC pack, or use static addressing. Also, if you want to carry out deployments you'll need to configure WDS outside of the HPC pack build framework, which is a workup and means you'll miss out on some great functionality.
    Cheers
    Dan
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:23 AM
  • Hi all,

As far I know that installing DNS on the parent partition of Hyper-V is not recommended, but if you still have to do it you might want to look at the work around at

DHCP is not working on MS Windows 2008 Hyper-V

Though This only should be used for testing or development environment.

Good luck,
    Erick
    IBM TSM Guru
    VMguru007
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 12:33 PM