Forced career change, please help with certification path RRS feed

• Question

• Do to the economy I am having to change careers- I was a Project Manager for a construction contractor. I have a great interest in IT and actually only started out working in construction to pay the bills while I was studying for IT certifications.
    I currently am A+ certified and am looking for guidance as to what certifications I should go for next that will hopefully give me the best chance at getting my foot in the door in IT. Without a degree and minimal professional IT experience I don't realistically expect I could get hired for much more than a help desk position. Assuming that may be the only possible position I could get hired for it would seem most logical to earn the MCDST certification. However I was hoping to get a certification that not only would allow me to get my foot in the door, but also something that will help propel me in advancing in IT. As I am currently laid off I have the time to make studying and getting certified my full time job- 40+ hours per week. I was thinking that going for the MCSA and eventually MCSE certifications may be stronger on my resume and also more useful in advancing. I intend to really learn the material- set up virtual pc, do the labs, run scenarios, etc and not just try to do a brain dump to get certified. My strongest interests are in security and network support/admin, however initially I my primary goal is just to get my foot in the door and getting hired.
    This is the route I was thinking of going, please tell me if this is feasible, smart
    1st 70-270 Installing, Configuring, and Administering Windows XP Professional; this will earn me MCP
    2nd 70-290 Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment
    3rd 70-291 Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    4th 70-680 TS: Windows 7, Configuring; this will earn me MCSA
    5th 70-293 Planning and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    6th 70-294 Planning, Implementing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory Infrastructure
    7th 70-298 Designing Security for a Windows Server 2003 Network; this would complete my MCSE
    by using 70-680 as my elective I would be getting the more up to date MCTS and by doing 70-298 I would only need 2 more exams for MCSE: Security
    I realize that MCITP is a more current certification, however I am thinking there may more employers using 2003; also I would follow the upgrade path for 2008
    Thoughts?
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:40 PM

Answers