Edit Num column RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to edit.add new label to the Num column
    Thursday, December 10, 2015 2:14 PM

All replies

• The columns and labels in the Account Register are fixed and cannot be changed within Money.

In the investments area, you can select from a large number of predefined columns in the Account Summary view.  But you cannot edit the labels or add a custom column of your own.

What were you trying to achieve by editing or relabeling the Num column?  Maybe there is another way to accomplish that.

Bill Becker

Thursday, December 10, 2015 3:38 PM
  • I would like to add an option 'BillPay' for transactions from my checking account.
    Friday, December 11, 2015 2:55 AM
  • Ah, now I understand your question.  The drop-down list for the Num column only contains:

ATM

DEBIT

Next Check Number

Print this Transaction

However, you can manually enter BillPay (or anyting similar) when you enter a transaction.  Modifying the dropdown list to add another choice would require some modifications to the Money program itself.  If you are adventurous and have programming expertise, this post may be interesting:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/34be9f59-8bf2-4250-9572-ba6df46062fc/hacking-ms-money-dialogs-to-be-more-usable?forum=money

Bill Becker

• Proposed as answer by Bill Becker Saturday, December 12, 2015 1:54 PM
    Friday, December 11, 2015 4:43 AM
  • That is exactly what I have been doing. Not enough programming expertise to try the other option. Not sure why the limitation for that field, and with the large numbers of Money users, surprised the issue hasn't come up before.

Thanks for your comments though,

Friday, December 11, 2015 2:29 PM
  • How about entering BP344 or B344 instead of BillPay344?
    Saturday, December 12, 2015 6:42 PM
  • Not sure what BP(number) will do other than keep a count of BP entries. I still have to do a manual entry instead of selecting a pre-defined entry from the Num drop-down list. Maybe I am missing something; could you expand some on this?
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 1:41 AM
  • It would be easier than typing the longer string.

Suppose you could add BillPay to the drop-down list choices-- what would that do for you? I think typing 1 or two letters manually would be easier for me than using a drop-down list.

Sunday, December 13, 2015 5:24 AM
  • With BillPay in the dropdown list a new transaction could be started with typing one letter (b), the BillPay option would appear then tab over to next field to complete transactions. I  guess I'm just surprised that the Payee field and category field allows so much flexibility (I.e. adding, removing options etc.) compared to the Num field. I see you are associated in  the prior answer noted above (https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/34be9f59-8bf2-4250-9572-ba6df46062fc/hacking-ms-money-dialogs-to-be-more-usable?forum=money); I'm just not competent enough to accomplish what is described. Do you think there may be an easier way?
    Sunday, December 13, 2015 2:40 PM
  • did you ever find a solution to this Bll
    Friday, July 20, 2018 10:26 PM
  • It's a really interesting project, but no, I didn't pursue it.  

Bill Becker

Saturday, July 21, 2018 2:41 AM