GridJunction script to shut down other PC's in the network RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I've asked this in other forums in a different fashion, but I'll try here.  My setup is this.  I have the Home Server on a UPS that GridJunction supports (and actively monitors).  I have a second PC on a UPS that doesn't have a cable, so the PC doesn't have any way of knowing the system is on battery power. I may be adding another PC, and it's UPS is yet to be determined.

Can I set up the GridJunction script to send the shutdown signal to the other PC(s) on the network?  If so, how would I go about it?  The PC's are all running Windows Vista Ultimate or Windows 7 (currently the one PC that is running has Windows 7 on it).

Thanks for any information about this. 

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 1:53 AM

Answers

• I can't tell you if GridJunction can be set up to run an arbitrary script, because I don't use it. But it seems like it would be trivial to figure that out for yourself from the documentation.

Assuming it can, you'll need to use a tool which can shut down a remote PC. Unless the Windows Home Server console password matches the password of the local Administrator account on your client PC, you'll want to use a tool which will allow sending a user name and password along with the command. The tool I would recommend for the purpose is psshutdown, available as part of the SysInternals tool kit from Microsoft.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 26, 2010 4:48 AM