Windows Defender??? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows Vista.  I just installed Windows Live OneCare but my Windows Defender cannot work.   When I restart my computer, it shows that Windows Defender is turn off but when I try to press the On button, it hang.  May I know is that Windows Live OneCare have disable my Windows Defender?  And why I also cannot subscript to Windows Live OneCare.  Thanks.

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:13 PM

Answers

• OneCare disables Defender on install since the malware protection of Defender is included and expanded upon by OneCare. If you choose to remove OneCare, Defender will again be enabled.

What happens when you click the subscribe link in OneCare? You will need to log in with a LiveID and then provide a retail key or credit card/payment information to proceed.

-steve

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:53 PM

All replies

• OneCare disables Defender on install since the malware protection of Defender is included and expanded upon by OneCare. If you choose to remove OneCare, Defender will again be enabled.

What happens when you click the subscribe link in OneCare? You will need to log in with a LiveID and then provide a retail key or credit card/payment information to proceed.

-steve

Friday, June 13, 2008 4:53 PM
  • Hi,
    May I know why should I backup the things in my computer?  Is it a MUST to backup?  Must backup from OneCare?  Cannot make a backup from my computer?  And if I backup from OneCare, then after the trial version period expired, so will all my backuped things will also gone like that?  How to disable the backup from OneCare?  Because the OneCare icon become yellow in colour now.  I want it to change back to green colour.  If I want to continue the OneCare service after its expired, what should I do?  Can I purchase the OneCare package?  How much does it cost?  Where can I buy it?  Another problem is after I have done with the TUNE-UP, why there are still have some Defragment that can't solve?  For example, "C:\Defragmentation patially completed".  So, what should I do to make the Defragmentation TOTALLY COMPLETED?

Thanks.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 9:29 AM
  • That's sure a whole lot of questions. :-)

It is not required to perform a backup using OneCare. However, you need to specify this to OneCare:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

If you choose to use OneCare backup, but then do not subscribe to OneCare, the backups will be much harder to restore from. They will be in compressed zip files, which you can open manually and extract files from, but any large files that are split by OneCare backup will need to be re-joined manually with a 3rd party tool.

If you choose to let OneCare expire, you need to remove OneCare from the PC as it will stop protectiing your PC some time after expiration of the trial.

Cost depends on where you are located and also depends on who you purchase from. In the US, the retail pricing, which is what you would pay if you purchased during activation, is $49.95. You can purchase a retail box copy for less than the retail price from some retailers. However, OneCare is not available in all countries.

In which countries and languages is Windows Live OneCare available?

The Windows Live OneCare subscription service is available in the following countries and languages: Australia (English), Austria (German), Belgium (Dutch, French), Canada (English, French), France (French), Germany (German), Ireland (English), Italy (Italian), Japan (Japanese), Mexico (Spanish), Netherlands (Dutch), New Zealand (English), Singapore (English), Spain (Spanish), Switzerland (French, German), United Kingdom (English), United States (English, Spanish).

Pasted from <http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/faq.htm>

The Defrag message should be ignored. Defrag in Tune-up is a timed event. It uses Windows Defrag and simply starts and runs until time is up. Any defragmentation performed is good. It is not a problem if the process doesn't finish. Your disk will begin fragmenting immediately after Defrag completes, anyway, since that's the way the file system works.

-steve

Friday, June 20, 2008 2:43 PM
  • Thanks...I'm from Malaysia...So where can I buy the OneCare Package?  How much is the price(In Ringgit Malaysia)?

Thank You...
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 6:09 AM
  • OneCare is not currently available in Malaysia, unfortunately.

-steve

Monday, June 23, 2008 2:03 PM
  • So, how can I buy online or is there any alternative for me to continue using OneCare?  Thanks...

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:38 AM
  • Unfortunately, until it is offered for sale in your country, when the trial expires you will need to remove OneCare and use a different Security product.

-steve

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:44 PM