recovering Onecare backup after deletion of zip files, an odd question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all

Firstly, hold off on the what did you do that for! comments, i did what i did and lets leave it at that.

I was using onecare to do my backups to an external HDD, and at the end of my subscription decided not to renew it.

As i was going to do my backup-ing through windows vista's own backup, i thought i may as well delete the onecare zip backup files on my exHDD to free up space. so i deleted them all, but all the catalogue files etc i couldnt delete.

Unfortunately, before i could do new backup, my laptop had a slight fall (dont ask) and the hard drive has died, along with all of my files, pictures etc. 

So I was able to retrieve the backup zip files with an undelete recovery program, but my problem now is that I cannot copy and paste the backups into the file structure of the Onecare backup in order to restore my backups.  I keep getting an error message telling me I cant, I dont have permission etc

Does anyone have any ideas as to how i can retrieve my files?

all i want to be able to do is paste the zip files back into the file structure

Thanks in advance

Monday, September 8, 2008 4:50 AM

Answers

• You can take ownership of the original One Care backup folders and the files/folders you are trying to move then move them but if there are any missing or corrupted files you may have unexpected results when you attempt to restore them. This won't be much fun but you might get a better result by extracting the recovered zip files, then drag and drop them to the desired location.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:06 AM

All replies

• You can take ownership of the original One Care backup folders and the files/folders you are trying to move then move them but if there are any missing or corrupted files you may have unexpected results when you attempt to restore them. This won't be much fun but you might get a better result by extracting the recovered zip files, then drag and drop them to the desired location.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 5:06 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Jim

Even if i take ownership of the files and folders I still get this message:

Error moving file or folder:

cannot move Deleted ZIP Archive 1 : Access is denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file

is not currently in use

when I try to move the recovered zip to the One Care backup folder.

and I cant seem to be able to extract the Zip files individually either, it says the zip is past of a multi-zip and cannot be extracted

Any other ideas?

thanks again

Craig

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:34 AM
  • I think you may need to review the ownership as it sounds like you may not have taken full ownership down to the file level.

I haven't done an extract from the zips in a while, but you should be using a 3rd party program such as Winzip to extract the files. It won't work using the functionality from within Windows. You may encounter files that have been split before being compressed. You will need a rejoin utility to put those files back together after extracting the parts.

This one is free and is the one support uses - 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

-steve

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:30 PM